Part Eleven

Bones, Region of Orrosta

Location: Camp Monmouth

"Are you following me?"

Bones was most certainly following him. He was following the exact way his lips moved around the letter "O" and the way his tongue flicked up in the corner of his mouth once he finished a rather long thought.

"I'm following, Beo."

"Okay, so I've managed to get our hands on a few important things. Maps of Lufe, Orrosta, the surrounding waterways and canals, floor plans of the camp...What am I forgetting? Oh, Orwell can pick any lock. And Taide tracks animals like he was born to."

Beo paused. This is where he was supposed to fill in exactly what Bones could bring to this team. Ultimately, he said nothing.

"And now you're trying to figure out where I fit into the trio. Or rather, if I fit into it."

Beo rolled his eyes. "You're fitting in one way another, Bones. I don't care if you bring something useful or not. You already know everything, and it would just be sad if you lived in this room alone."

It was late, and the two of them were sitting on Bones' bed discussing the upcoming plans. Beo had spent hours, it seemed, preparing this long soliloquy to deliver to his bunkmate, outlining all the reasons he thought the Enforcement was corrupting slowly, but surely. One sentence into Beo's speech and Bones interrupted with a short and sweet: "I'm in. Now get to the details."

Taide and Orwell had yet to be informed of their newest squad member, so Bones and Beo were lucky their roommates were nowhere to be found.

"Fair," Bones shifted his weight so he was leaning back on his arms. "So, transportation? When are we leaving? How are we leaving without getting immediately caught? Have you figured out food? What about where we would sleep?"

The redness appearing on Beo's cheeks told Bones the group hadn't gotten that far. Bones snorted. "You're serious, Beo? You haven't planned any of that?"

Beo's lips twitched into the apologetic, lopsided smile of a guilty child. "Well, I knew you would be useful for something!"

Bones shook his head, but couldn't help but smile at the small chuckle Beo was allowing himself. Beo hardly ever laughed. Or smiled. It was refreshing.

Bones stood up from underneath the bed, but gripped onto the side of the top bunk and looked down at Beo. "Don't worry, Princess. I'll take care of all that."

"You will?" Beo looked as if he had just found out Father Christmas was coming six weeks early.

"I guess you'll just have to wait and see." Bones winked.

With perfect timing, the other two roommates walked in just as their conversation had fizzled out.

"Oi! You two have a good shag while we were gone?" Orwell was a pervert. And hilarious. But Bones didn't dare tell the boy that. Beo may call it his "playboy hotheaded asshole persona," but Bones just didn't like getting close to anyone. So, he usually ignored everyone. But he didn't seem to be very good at that these days...

"Yup," Bones smirked. "Incredible, actually."

Orwell burst into his usual hyena laughter. Bones hadn't heard him laugh that hard in weeks. In fact, he hadn't seen Orwell in this good of a mood since he met him. "I knew it! Taide, you owe me a chocolate!" Cadwell chocolate squares were given out as rewards from officers, so they were essentially camp currency.