Part Fifteen

Maxin, The Fort

Orgon hadn't called for him, but Maxin didn't think it would be a problem for him to come visit. It was a Sunday afternoon, and Maxin knew Orgon's schedule better than he knew basic multiplication. Orgon would be in his room, reading the Newspaper or preparing for his Monday meetings. He wouldn't mind if Maxin stopped in to say hello.

Maxin's heart pounded viciously just thinking about it. He bit his lip to keep from smiling too hard as he pushed Orgon's door open. He didn't want to seem too eager. But oh, was he eager.

He opened his mouth to call a greeting to his master, but he immediately closed it once he saw who was in Orgon's chambers with him. Maxin cast his eyes downward as quickly as possible. Orgon was fine with Maxin looking at him, but Maxin had a strong feeling that the most notoriously evil Aldrich son was not.

Before Maxin even had enough time to mutter out an apology for coming unannounced, Orgon's voice boomed off the walls of the room in an unusually intense manner. He and his brother Kurtz were clearly in an argument.

"Perfect timing," Orgon's voice sounded bitter and sarcastic. "Why don't you ask him yourself, brother? Since, apparently, you don't believe a word out of my mouth."

Maxin had no idea what was going on or why he seemed to be involved. He stole a glance upwards to see Orgon glaring ruthlessly at his brother. Kurtz eyed him just as menacingly in return. Maxin would never want to be on the other end of either of those stares.

"Fine." Kurtz broke their eye contact first and turned to face Maxin. Admittedly staring at the pair, Maxin quickly cast his eyes downward once more. Rather than see Kurtz walk towards him, Maxin heard his footsteps; his stare was too narrowed to see much more than the tops of the brand new shoes Orgon had bought him. For some reason, Maxin prayed that Kurtz didn't notice his new and probably very expensive footwear. He had a feeling Kurtz wouldn't be very fond of the help wearing something so pristine.

The footsteps stopped outside of Maxin's field of vision, but he figured Kurtz was far close enough because when he spoke, Maxin could practically feel hot breath touch his face.

"Are you having sex with my brother?"

"Am I---did you say--what?"

Maxin was no longer looking at his feet. He was trembling, spitting nonsense, red-faced, and open-mouthed staring at the older Aldrich brother as the prince looked down at Max with a twisted, strangely curious glower that Maxin wanted to run 100 miles away from.

"You heard me." His voice was even more perverse and unforgiving than Maxin remembered it being the last horrible time the two had crossed paths. The sound made every inch of Maxin's skin crawl and tinge with a creeping sense of misery.

"No!" Maxin shook his head vigorously. "Never! Ever! I swear--I don't--I'm not--"

Maxin was brutally interrupted. "Spit it out!"

Kurtz's words just made him more anxious. More uncomfortable. He wanted this absolutely horrifying conversation to end. He squirmed in his skin. His fingers pulled at the hem of his shirt so tightly he thought it may rip. He felt his cheeks flame, which only helped to make him even more flustered. He couldn't speak. Nothing connected his brain to his tongue.

"I said, spit it out! Are you fucking my brother or not?"

Maxin hated every single syllable that came out of Kurtz's mouth. Despite how incredibly embarrassing it was to admit it--especially in front of Orgon--Maxin had to. He needed it to end. He needed this absolute nightmare to end. "I-I don't do that!"