Part Thirty-One

Bones, Region of Orrosta

Location: The Hospital

Bones and Scarlett were sitting across from one another at the end of the long picnic table in the practically-empty mess hall when Beo strode up to them, shoulders rolled back, head high, his body unwavering. It was the same way he walked into every room, every day. It was this strut of confidence, of meaning, of importance, like he was always about to deliver news regarding an important, life-altering mission. It made Bones smile every time.

"Good morning," Bones greeted, turning his shoulders towards their new guest. Beo had stopped at the table but hadn't sat down. Rather, he landed one knee on the bench next to Bones and one hand on the table next to the forgotten bowl of porridge he was eating.

"You're up early," Beo noted, cocking his head at his bunkmate. He glanced over at his sister. "Hi, Scar."

Scarlett mumbled a similar greeting through a mouthful of eggs and sausage. Beo turned back to Bones, eyebrows raised, waiting.

"Yeah. Went for a run this morning, actually. It was so nice."

Beo snorted. "A run? What, a run around the mess hall? You know we're not allowed outside."

Bones cleared his throat and began mentally preparing for the onslaught of reprimanding he was about to receive. "No, not around the mess hall. I went outside, and before you say anything--" The lines around Beo's mouth had quickly formed a hard frown. "I was in and out before the sun rose. No one saw a thing."

And so the onslaught of reprimanding began:

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me." When Bones gave no indication he was kidding, Beo continued. "Never mind it was dark, you could have been seen anyway! Someone could have even seen you come into the compound! You could have been arrested! And then you would be dead. Dead, Bones. God, it's like I have to do all the thinking for you, you know that, right?"

"Beo--"

"No," a hand was held up very close to Bones' face, silencing him. "No. You don't get it. You just do this... this stuff because you want to. You don't even think about everyone else you affect in the process. I get that you used to be able to do whatever the hell you want, but now you have a family, you have people who care, okay? And you can't do stupid stuff like this anymore. You're not just you anymore. You're... you're us, okay?"

Bones had no idea how much Beo had told his sister about their relationship, but at that moment, he didn't care. His heart beating significantly faster, he grabbed Beo's hands in his own and squeezed. "I'm sorry, I didn't think. But I promise I won't do anything stupid again. Without your permission, of course."

Beo rolled his eyes, pulling his hands out of Bones' and placing them on his hips. "It's not permission, Bones. It's just you not being selfish."

Bones opened his mouth to apologize once more, but Beo cut him off. "I'm getting some eggs." He turned away from the two of them, assumed his Biondi Power Walk and headed for the cafeteria.

Slowly, Bones turned back to his food. He glanced up at Beo's twin. She had clearly been intently observing the entire exchange. She cocked one eyebrow. One corner of her lips raised to match it.

"You certainly got my brother flustered."

Bones took a sip of his coffee, giving her words time to hang in the air. "I guess so." She didn't press the matter further. Until she did.

"I saw there was some handholding." Bones rolled his eyes. Scarlett's face had suddenly taken on the appearance of a little girl in a candy shop.

"There was."