Part Twenty-Two

Bones, Region of Orrosta

Location: Route 8

They had driven until the sun started peaking above the horizon line. When it was light enough to see beyond the Cruiser's headlights, they drove offroad and found themselves a place to park that was covered by enough trees so no one could see them from the road. All they could do now was sleep and wait. Driving in the daytime was too risky. Warrants were out for their arrests in every region of Undorn. Plus, they were driving a military vehicle on Route 8. It didn't get any more conspicuous than that.

"So, Kastali?" Beo, of course, was the only one up besides Bones. Taide and Orwell were passed out in the back seat, their heads uncomfortably pressed to the car windows, their bottom lips hanging open as they slept.

Bones nodded. "I went to headquarters when I first saw all the wanted posters last night. I found Andreya, and she made a call to the leader of the resistance in Kastali. Catherine is her name. She says we're welcome there. They have a whole compound--beds, kitchens... We'll be fine there. We'll be safe."

"And how are we getting there? A ferry?" Kastali was cut off from Orrosta and Lufe by a stretch of the Dornish Sea that they obviously couldn't cross in just the Cruiser. But a ferry wouldn't be safe either. Too many people. Too many faces.

"We're taking the Bridge." The Bridge, contrary to its name, wasn't actually a bridge at all. In fact, it was a tunnel, underground, that the government had been working on for years to provide easier access from Kastali to Orrosta and Lufe.

Beo's jaw went slack. "The Bridge? Are you insane? Construction hasn't even finished! That's a death sentence!"

Bones rolled his eyes. "Beo, would you trust me? It's fine. It's nearly finished. I've done the research, we can use it."

Beo stared back at him, shaking his head. "I trust you. But if this backfires Bones...We're dead. Literally."

"It won't. We'll live. You have my word."

Apparently, Bones' word was all they needed. Two days later, once they were through the Bridge and into Kastali (Beo held his breath practically the whole time they were underwater), Beo turned on The News Radio Station. The first thing they heard:

Under suspicious circumstances, the Bridge into Kastali has completely collapsed onto itself. No civilians were injured. No word yet on if the Warden will fund the project again.

Maxin, the Fort

Location: The Hospital

Orgon was giving him the single most bored look Maxin had ever seen on anyone's face ever.

"You don't think that's cool?" Maxin himself had practically jumped out of his skin at the news. "Four deserter Enforcers coming here? And Catherine wants me to show them around? That's the best thing that's happened to me in years!"

Orgon took a bite of his oatmeal, making sure to roll his eyes completely into the back of his head at Maxin's declaration. He put his spoon down. "No, Maxin, I don't think that's cool. They made a commitment to the military and now they've gone AWOL. The public's taxpayer dollars used to train and equip them has all gone to shit, now."

"Well, I think it's noble," Maxin crossed his arms over his chest in an attempt to make a point. "Besides, all their training will be useful to the Resistance now."

"Like I said," Orgon raised one eyebrow. "Gone to shit." Maxin opened his mouth, about to try to convince Orgon he was wrong, but Orgon's voice stopped him. "Oh no. Don't tell me that's them."

Maxin whipped around in his seat. He had been sitting across from Orgon, so he couldn't see what--rather, whom--the prince was talking about. But Maxin had a pretty good idea, and it made his heart beat a little more rapidly. "When? Where?"

"Coming from the dorms," Orgon sounded uninterested. Maxin was anything but. In a second, his eyes were on the hallway from the dorms that spilled into the mess hall. And there they were. Looking like god damned superheroes.

"Wow," Maxin was breathless. Orgon snorted.

"Don't tell me you're about to go all military slut on me."

Maxin ignored him. "Look at them! They're amazing."

Orgon was muttering, "Should have seen that one coming," but Maxin was too distracted to defend himself.

There were four of them, but the one in the front was definitely the leader of the group. He was tall and skinny, but Maxin suspected that he would have been a bit more muscular if he had some more to eat. His hair was a dirty blonde that fell in his eyes. He carried himself confidently like he knew the weight of the world was on his shoulders but he really didn't mind.

The one standing just to his left was taller, but just so. He had dark shoulder length hair and cheekbones that could cut glass. His arms were crossed over his chest and his eyes were narrowed ever so slightly like he didn't trust anything that was going on here.

The shortest one stood in the back. Maxin had to crane his neck to get a good look at him; he was smiling, but Maxin could tell it had a nervous edge. He bounced from foot to foot as he stood in the mess hall listening to Catherine who was probably explaining the layout of the compound. His hair was blonde and stuck up at every end. Maxin smiled just looking at him.

The last one was by far the most intense. He had a shaved head, thick muscles bulging out of his skimpy white t-shirt, and about a foot on the shorter, wiry boy who stuck to his side like a parasite.

"They're so handsome," was the conclusion Maxin came up with. He hadn't taken his eyes off the group since they walked in.

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me." Now, Orgon was interested. "The two in the front need major haircuts and the short one looks like a mouse. As for the tall dark one... He... He just..."

Maxin turned to smirk at the prince. "Nothing to say about him, eh?" Orgon gave him a narrow-eyed glare that told Max to change the subject or suffer consequences. Maxin chose the former. "I'm going over there."

"Now?"

Maxin couldn't help but chuckle at the shock on Orgon's face. The prince's eyebrows were drawn in so tightly they looked like one. Max grinned wider. "No time like the present, sir."