Chapter 8: Broken

I looked up into Lucas' beautiful green eyes as a tear slides down my cheek. He sinks down to the floor beside me and wipes the tears from my cheek ever so gently.

"He is not worthy of your tears Azalea. Your beauty should not be tainted by tears. I'm here for you Azalea, always will be."

He looks so lovingly into my eyes. I cuddle into his chest as he wraps an arm around me, soothing the pain in my heart.

"Thank you so much Lucas. I've been here for two days and I'm already crying over a stupid prince."

My voice was thick with emotion as I try to hold it together. He places two fingers under my chin and makes me look up at him, staring into an abyss of beautiful emerald eyes. In the past few days so much has happened. I had my first kiss, two princes wanted to marry me and I was crying about one prince in the arms of another. I had to start to think about who I really wanted to be with, who I wanted to marry. The answer was obvious wasn't it? I lifted my hands to Lucas' face and cupped his cheeks. I stared deeply into his eyes, my fingers lingering on his face. His minty breath fanned across my face. Then I brought my lips onto his. This kiss wasn't anything like the kisses I shared with Rowan. He kissed me gently yet with passion. Careful yet kind. I swung my legs over his lap and sat on his thighs as we continued our kiss. His hands found their way onto my lower back, pulling me closer to him until there was no space left. I pressed my body against his, eager for the physical contact. My lips parted as his tongue entered my mouth, meeting with mine. Electricity was flowing through my body. Finally our lips parted and he stared at me with loving eyes.

"Wow Azalea. You are extraordinary."

He stared into my eyes. His face was flushed and he was slightly out of breath. He looked at me with such love and admiration. I smiled at him.

"We'll have to finish this another time. I believe breakfast is going to be served soon."

I give him a flirtatious look as he bites his lower lip. My stomach filled with butterflies. Scratch that, the butterflies were fucking swarming.

"I believe I have my meal sitting in my lap."

He gives me a playful wink as a blush creeps onto my face. He gently lifts me up and to his side. As he stands, he reaches for my hand to help me up as well. He takes my hand in his.

"Let's go beautiful."

He pulls me along the hallways towards the dining hall as I'm stuck in a daze. Who knew Lucas could be this charming?

Lucas and I walk hand in hand to the dining hall. My under eyes were still puffed up from crying and my eyes were blood shot red, I looked terrible to sum it up. Before we entered the dining hall, I took the time to smooth my hair down and take a deep breath. Then we stepped into the room. Everyone was already sitting at the table but my eyes immediately landed on Rowan. His eyes were dark and his expression was cold. Lucas lead me to my seat next to him, whilst pulling my chair out for me. I nod my head as a sign of gratitude and sat down. The king is the first to break the silence.

"Good morning Princess Azalea. We're so grateful you could join us. I hope you slept well and are enjoying your new life here so far." He smiled genuinely at me.

"I'm absolutely loving it here, your Highness. And indeed I did sleep well, thank you for asking." I might've lied about loving it here but I doubt he would've noticed.

"Then if you don't mind me asking Princess, but why does it appear you've been crying?" He questions me. My face flushes a deep red. Rowan intervenes before I could answer.

"Father, she's just adjusting. Probably a little homesick too. That's most likely what is making her so upset." Rowan flashes me a smile, but I just frown back at him. A good excuse and a smile isn't enough to make me forgive him. Lucas speaks up.

"I'll make sure I take her out to see more of the many marvels of our castle. I'm certain some quality time will cheer her up. When we finish eating Azalea, I'll take you."  Lucas chimes in with a sweet smile on his face. But Rowan interrupts him.

"Not so fast brother. If i don't recall you already had her most of the morning. I believe it is my turn to take out the lovely princess." Rage spirals inside me and all I can see is red.

"Well it is only fair that you spend equal amount of time with the princess so Rowan you may take her." The king states, he clearly wanted both his sons to have a fair shot at my hand in marriage. A huge smile creeps onto Rowan's face.

"Thank you father." Rowan replies enthusiastically, quick to finish his breakfast while Lucas sulks into his plate. I sit remaining quiet, not that I even had a say in who I wanted to go with. After we all finish eating, Rowan is by my side, offering me his hand. I stand up on my own, not wanting to accept his offer, and begin to walk past him. It only takes a second for him to follow suit and fall into pace with me. He soon breaks our silence.

"You're a feisty girl, you know that right Lea?"

I see him smirk at me in my peripheral vision.

"Ya and you're an ass, you know that right Rowan?"

I turn to look over my shoulder while still walking to see Rowan stopped cold in his tracks, mouth hanging wide open. I blow him a kiss and continue walking back to my room.