Chapter Nine

On 6/12/18 I changed the lengths of all the chapters to be more effective in reading and interest. If you don't know where you left off, message me where you were in the storyline and I will let you know what chapter you need to start back at. Sorry for the inconvenience:)

***

My headlights shined through the darkness of the road in front of me, barely helping through the pouring rain. I was driving home in the middle of a storm—not my brightest idea, I'll admit. Even driving slowly, I could barely see enough to stay in the lane. After a while, I heard a rumbling coming from my engine and steam rising out of my hood. I didn't even notice the steam at first from all the pouring rain, but it got to a point where so much steam was showing up that it had me seriously worried. "No, no, no no..." I was still so far away from my house.

The rumbling sound and steam were getting worse so I turned on my emergency lights and pulled off on the side of the road. Zipping up my coat and putting on the hood, I got out of the car. I was pelted with cold rain immediately. Racing to the front of the car, I raised the hood and instantly, my lungs were filled with smoke. I coughed and waved away the smoke in front of my face until I caught my breath. I couldn't even see inside the car with all the smoke, rain and darkness. Thunder boomed around me, making me jump in fright. Lightning was flashing all across the sky. I needed to get home.

Thunder boomed again as I moved to get back inside my car. I tried to block the gunshots out of my mind. Not now. I reached for my phone in my bag and dialed my brother's number. It rang and rang, but he didn't pick up. I tried again, and again, but he never answered. I groaned in frustration, not knowing what to do. My car was in no state to drive. The only other people I had the numbers to call was Marla and Aria, but they wouldn't know how to help. Holden was out on the other side of town doing something with Lucas, so he wouldn't be able to come help.

I got back out of the car and ran to the hood of the car. I didn't know what I was looking at, much less what the problem was or how to fix it. My clothes were now absolutely drenched, along with my hair and face. The harsh wind was preventing my hood to stay over my head, so I finally just left it alone. I flinched at the raging thunder, starting to panic. I wanted to get to safety—away from the loud noise.

Right at that time, screeching tires filled my ears. I watched a car slam to a stop beside my car on the road, then pull off in front of my car. A second later, someone jumped out of the car and jogged to me, holding the hoodie over his head. "What happened?" Kason's voice shouted over the wind and rain.

I shook my head and put my hands on my dripping wet black hair. "I have no idea!"

He looked at the smoke rising from my car and nodded. "I'll take a look at it!" I watched him run back to his car and pull something out of the backseat. He came back with a flashlight and I stood by while he tried to look under the front hood of my car. He coughed a few times from the smoke but seemed to be able to scan the problem effectively. "Your engine overheated, but I don't know what the problem is because the coolant tank is still full!" he shouted. "You need to have a mechanic look at it!"

I mentally cursed. I didn't have the money to pay a mechanic to find a problem and fix it. "Can I drive it home?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

He shook his head and closed the hood. "Not a chance! That would be asking the car to catch fire!" Thunder boomed and lightning cracked. I shuddered in fright and the coldness of my drenched attire. "Do you want me to call a tow truck?"

I shook my head immediately. "No, I don't have the money to pay someone to come and get it! I'll just find another way!"

He nodded. "Get your stuff! I'll drive you home!" The wind seemed to blow harder and the thunder seemed to get louder. I ran to my car and Kason helped me gather my things. Then, we took a run for it to his car and climbed inside. Once we were safe from the rain, a chuckle escaped his lips. "This isn't how I planned my night going."