Chapter Nineteen

I posted chapters 19-20 so make sure you read them in order!

"Lydia, tell me about yourself," Nora spoke. "I'd like to know more about you if you mean something to Kason." Again, the truth to her words was a little far-fetched because I didn't know exactly what I was to Kason. I assumed just the sister of his close friend, but then again, he seemed worried and suspicious about me keeping secrets recently.

I grinned shyly, not knowing what to say or where to start. "My older brother and I just moved here from California," I told her. "We got here a little over a month ago."

She grinned. "I've always wanted to go to California."

I watched Kason look down at his lap, suddenly looking bothered, making me wonder if she actually had been to California before. "Well just so you know, it is even more beautiful than in pictures," I told her, even know I had no idea whether the statement was true or not, considering the fact that I had never been to California.

Her plump lips pulled to a wide, genuine smile. A moment later, she turned to her son. "How is Lucy?"

Looking up at her, shock and happiness glinted in his eyes. "She's great. She really misses you," he said smoothly. "She's growing up too fast." He suddenly rubbed his eyes, fighting back tears threatening to show.

"I miss her, too," Nora said sadly. "Will you bring her to see me one day soon?" she asked him hopefully. "And Dan, too?"

He nodded and rubbed his eyes again. "Yeah," he croaked. "I will."

Taking a deep breath, I wiped the tears that filled my eyes. I felt so sorry for both of them and the rest of their family. No one should ever go through this.

We sat there and talked to Nora for over an hour, going through conversations after conversations. She seemed really interested in me and asked about my family and our life back in California. All of my answers were vague and repetitive, which unfortunately didn't go unnoticed by Kason. She didn't seem to catch on though. As little as she remembered about Kason's childhood, the stories she did bring up made me laugh. He was a very adventurous kid who repetitively wondered off to explore the area around him. Although hard to handle, and very obnoxious, he never took it too far and understood how important family was.

"I'm sorry to cut this gathering short, but it's time for Nora's dinner," the redhead informed us after a while.

Understanding, Kason and I nodded and stood up, the trace of a smile still on both of our faces. "Bye, mom." Kason hugged her tightly, which she returned.

Once they separated, she turned to me with a wide smile and hugged me tightly too. "Come to see me again, Lydia. You are a really sweet girl." I nodded as we pulled away. "Keep this girl around, Kason."

He nodded, grinning down at me and his mom. "I plan on it."

We watched as the girl led Nora away and into the building. Once she was out of sight, Kason turned to go back into the building and back out the way we came. I followed him all the way to the car without saying a word. We both buckled and didn't speak until he was driving out of the parking lot. "How long has she been like that?" I asked him hesitantly.

He stared at the road in front of him. "A couple years. This was actually a really good day for her," he told me proudly with a smile. "She remembered me, Lucy and dad. The past few times I've come to visit her, she hasn't recognized me at all, much less Lucy and dad." I could tell he wanted to continue, so I listened patiently. "In the beginning, when she first started developing dementia, she hid it from us for a long time, or at least tried to, until we finally noticed. But by the time, we realized what was happening, she was getting really bad. Honestly, we are surprised that she's still around."

I looked out the window. "The thing about California...has she been before?"

He nodded, his smile fading. "Yeah. She and dad would go every couple years for their anniversary," he confirmed. "She absolutely loves it there."

My eyes found him and remained there. "Why are you trusting me with this when only your close friends know?"

He didn't hesitate when he looked at me. "Because I want to prove to you that you can trust me," he answered. "I trust you and I want you to be able to trust me in return."

I knew immediately that this was about me not telling him what was wrong the night before last. "I do trust you," I said honestly.

"Obviously, not enough."

#

As soon as Gavin walked through the front door, I spotted the blood splotched on his head and back. He walked through the house, leaving a small trail of blood from the cut on his forehead and shoulder blade.

Immediately, I moved to grab the first aid kit. "Stop bleeding on my floor," I told him, as he sat down in a kitchen chair.

"It's not your floor. It's our floor," he replied with a roll of his eyes.

"Then stop bleeding on our floor."

A chuckle escaped his lips and I couldn't help but smile. I cleaned his wounds then sealed the cuts shut with butterfly plasters. We sat in silence as I cleaned him up. Our last few interactions had involved arguments. "I'm sorry," he said once I was finishing up. "For telling Marla."

Sighing, I picked up all the leftover supplies and packed them back in the kit. "It's okay. I forgive you. As long as you think we can trust her, I don't think any harm was done."

A grin stretched his cheeks. "She won't tell anyone." I nodded and threw away the leftover trash before I put away the aid kit. "I want to tell Kason," he blurted, making me stop. "He's a really good fighter, Delilah—he's never lost a match. He could protect you."

I knew he could. I didn't have a doubt that Kason could fight him off by everything I've heard about his reputation. "Kason took me to meet his mom today," I explained. "She is in a care home with dementia. Apparently, only his close friends know about her. He said his mom would want to meet me...I don't know why."

"He trusts you."

"He just wanted me to tell him what has been going on with us."

"Was it really just that?" he asked, making me question myself. "Or did it mean something else to him?"

"Gavin, I've only known him for a month."

"A month is all it takes."

I crossed my arms. "What are you insinuating?"

He shrugged, brushing it all off. "Nothing," he replied, making me roll my eyes.

"I don't want to tell anyone else," I told him. "Not yet, anyway."

He grabbed his shirt and pulled it back on. "Okay," he said. "Everyone else will be told on your terms. Just keep in mind, how close he is now...how much we just might need all the help we can get."

I nodded and watched as my brother stood from the kitchen chair and started making his way toward his room. Just as he reached his door, I called out to him. "I'll tell Kason," I told him. "But not until I'm ready."

***

So you've met Nora Wesley.

When do you think Lydia will tell him her secrets? How will he react? 

Any predictions for future chapters?

Thanks for reading!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter:) If you did, don't forget to VOTE!!

~Emily