Chapter Eleven

I posted Chapters 10 and 11 so make sure you read them in order.

***

"Have you decided what you're writing your essay about?" Aria asked me as she grabbed books out of her locker.

Leaning against the locker beside hers, I shook my head. "I have no clue what I'm going to write it about."

Looking over her shoulder, I found deep-blue eyes staring back at me. Kason was leaning against a locker down the hall, with his foot back against it and his hands in his jean pockets. Through the crowded and chaotic hallway, I was somehow able to easily spot him amongst the students. I swear my heart skipped a beat when he didn't look away after a long moment.

Aria closed her locker and followed my gaze. Kason found her looking too. Then, without waving or nodding his head, he walked away in the opposite direction, making me curious as to what was going on in his mind.

"What was that about?" Aria asked, turning at me.

Looking at her, I shrugged and shook my head before glancing in the direction he had disappeared into one last time. "I have no idea."

#

I sat there in my very last class of the day, by myself as usual and spun my pencil between my fingers as I waited for the bell to ring. Everyone had finished their work for the day and had been given permission to talk amongst themselves until class was over. I, however, had only one friend in the class and he was too busy talking to someone else, so I remained how I was and kept to myself. No one else was kind enough to talk to me or let me join their conversations. That's high school kids for you.

A loud laugh filled the air, which I immediately recognized as Kason's. Turning and looking over my shoulder, I spotted my friend laughing at something another girl had said to him. She was pretty. Really pretty. She was a classic blonde with bright blue eyes and a perfect body. She was practically all over him. It surprised me that he would let her get that close to him, considering how much of a reserved person he is.

I found myself getting jealous. Why? I don't know. I shouldn't get jealous. I didn't have a reason to get jealous. We were friends. I think. He was just helping me with my car situation and I was his sister's babysitter. That's it. Nothing else. Marla had once told me that Kason hardly ever gave girls his time of day. I barely knew him. Why should I be any different?

The end of the day bell rang and I immediately grabbed my bag, just so I could be the first one out of the room. I waited outside of the door for Kason to join me since he was my ride home. Once he did, he smiled at me, obviously in a good mood, and asked if I was ready to go.

"Yeah, let's go," I said half-heartedly.

We walked the halls with hundreds of other students until we reached the main doors. Once outside, I followed Kason to his car, where we got inside and waited for my brother. I sat in the passenger's seat once again. My brother may be older, but it's always first to come first serve in my rule book. My eyes scanned our surroundings, looking for Jaxon as we waited in silence. For the fourth time since our last interaction, I saw green eyes staring at me. Miles Anderson was leaning against his car with his arms crossed over his chest. He observing me. Again. This dude was really starting to creep me out.

"Hey, what did you mean when you said that Miles was dangerous?" I asked Kason, not letting my eyes leave the blonde headed boy. "You said he could ruin my life if he wanted to."

"I meant exactly what I said," he replied. "Why? Did he try to talk to you again?"

I shook my head and glanced at Kason, who had already been looking at me. "He's done the exact opposite."