Chapter Sixty

I woke up to the sound of loud whispers.

"Someone is going to have to tell her at one point," someone spoke. "She thinks he's dead."

"She's finally feeling safe," someone else argued. "If she is told that Charles is still in the same building as her, she will probably freak out."

Realizing they were surely talking about me, I opened my eyes. Miles, Kason, and my brother were standing across the room in a circle, looking to be deep in a serious conversation. I decided to speak up before they could say another word. "Charles is alive, isn't he?" I asked.

All three boys turned to look at me, surprised to see me away. Miles just stared at me, unmoving, while Kason nervously scratched the back of his head. It was Gavin who nodded first. "Yeah. He is."

"But he's completely guarded," Kason added immediately. "It's impossible for him to get out of his room."

I found myself just staring at them. When Miles had told me that he shot him, I had assumed that Charles had died. That was stupid of me, considering that Kason, Aria, and I had all survived getting shot.

"He survived the gunshot," Miles confirmed after a long moment of my silence. "They are holding him here just until he is released, which should be by the end of this week."

"We've already been in this hospital a week, and you are just now telling me this?" I asked them, a little angry. Gavin anxiously ran his fingers through his hair, sensing how tense I was.

"Because there's nothing to worry about," Kason told me. "His hospital room is completely guarded, inside and out, and I'm ninety percent sure that he is handcuffed to his hospital."

I nodded, taking deep breaths trying to keep myself calm. "Okay," I said.

They stared at me. "Okay? That's it?" my brother asked, surprised that I hadn't lashed out on them. "No 'get me out of this place right now'?"

I shook my head. "He's guarded. He's injured. He can't get to us." I watched Gavin exhale a relieved deep breath as he nodded. "When do you think I'll be released?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Hopefully by the end of this week," he told me. "But you will have to take it easy. That means no street fighting for you."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Pretty sure street fighting is you guys' thing, not mine."

"Weeeellll," Kason drawled out, "Not anymore..." I just grinned at him.

My brother pushed a chair beside my bed and sat down, resting one of his hands comfortingly on mine. I was so thankful that my brother had gotten through this with me.

My eyes diverted to Kason and Miles who were actually standing side by side, looking comfortable and relaxed. This was the first time that she had seen them in the same room without looking like they were going to bite each other's head off. Both boys had their arms crossed over their chests. "So...have you two resolved your problems?"

They looked at each other and Miles chuckled while Kason answered me. "Yeah, we are great."

Did I see a newfound friendship? It was so weird seeing them get along. I guess Miles had forgiven Kason for breaking his sister's heart years ago.

Then, the door opened from the hall, and an excited three-year-old ran in followed by Daniel. The blonde little girl skipped up to the white bed I was laying on and held up a pink blanket. "We got you a present!"

I smiled brightly down at Lucy. It had been weeks since I had seen her. Her adorable little face was something that I had missed. "Awe. Is this for me?"