Chapter Forty-Nine

I posted Chapters 48-49! Make sure you are reading them in order!

I slipped on my thick, brown boots and grabbed my puffy black coat as our front door opened. Marla, Aria, and Holden walked in, all three of them with smiles on their faces. "Where are you going?" Aria asked me. "We are about to order pizza."

Marla made a beeline toward the living room where Gavin was and Holden waited beside of Aria. "I'm going over to Kason's. He and Lucy are both sick and Daniel has to work, so they could use my help."

"Do you want me to drive you over there?" Holden asked.

I shook my head and slipped my arms into my giant coat. "No, I'll be fine. It's just down the street."

"But Charles—."

"Is not going to do anything right now," I assured him, although I wasn't certain. "His house is just down the street. It's barely a three-minute walk."

"A lot can happen in three minutes," Aria said, obviously not liking the idea. "He could kidnap you in like two seconds."

I rolled my eyes. "He doesn't want to kidnap me. He wants me dead."

She threw her hands out in front of her. "Even worse."

Holden walked back to the door and opened it. "Come on, I'm driving you." I rolled my eyes but led the way out of the door. He turned and kissed Aria on the cheek. "Be right back, Babe."

I let myself into his Jeep, which was thankfully still warm inside. He climbed in and started driving down the street. "So, are you and Kason like...okay?"

I shook my head. "Not really, not yet anyway," I told him anyway. "But I plan on fixing that this evening."

Nodding, he pulled into Kason's driveway and put the vehicle in park. "Just know that he still cares for you, okay? I don't think anything could ever change that," he told me gently. "He's just sensitive when it comes to you."

I nodded, breathing and appreciating his words. "Thank you."

He smiled with closed lips. "Now go get your boy, Rose."

I chuckled and climbed out of the car, racing up to his front door to get out of the cold. Holden pulled out of the driveway and started driving back up the road as I knocked multiple times on the wooden door. A long two minutes later, the front door opened, revealing a very sick Kason. He looked worse than he did earlier.

He stepped back, leaving me room to walk in, then closed and locked the door behind me. I spotted Lucy lying down on the couch, watching Snow White on the living room TV. "Lydia!" she smiled at my appearance. I moved to sit down beside her sickly body.

"How are you feeling?" I asked placing the back of my hand on her forehead. She felt warm.

The three-year-old shook her head with a frown. "Not good," she replied.

I turned my attention to Kason, who had followed me into the room. "Kason, when was the last time she took any medicine?"

He shrugged. "About half an hour ago."

I scrunched my brows. "Did you give her the right kind?"

He nodded. "I gave her the one that dad got from her doctor."

"And you gave her the right amount?" I questioned further. "You read the instructions on the prescription?"

Nodding again, he rolled his eyes. "Yes, I'm not insane; I gave her the right amount," he snapped. I immediately looked away, knowing I had frustrated him. "I'm sorry," he apologized right after. I just nodded at him and tightly closed my lips.