Chapter Thirty-Six

I sat down in the floor, setting the cardboard shoe box in front of me. Opening the lid, I set it off to the side and looked at the contents inside. My mother's wedding ring was on top of the stack of pictures and contents inside. I grabbed it and twirled the silver around on my fingers. There were tiny diamonds lining the length of the band and a larger one centering the top of the ring. It was probably worth a lot. Before my dad's mind went in the gutter, he truly cared for my mother.

Placing the ring down gently on the floor, I scanned the pictures in view. I picked up the top picture in the box. My father was holding two children. One was two years old and the other was three. My brother and I were smiling at the camera and Charles was smiling down at my brother. Sometimes I wonder if even then, he knew that one day I would see right through his facade.

Everything in this box had once belonged to my mother. There were pictures of my passed grandparents and my brother and I, but there were no more including my father. The only picture of him I was willing to keep was one taken when he was still sane. Even then, the only reason I kept it was because I couldn't afford to forget his face. Although I don't think I could forget even if I tried.

"Delilah, if we don't leave now we are going to be late for school," my brother said, approaching my bedroom door. I stared at the picture in my hand and saw Gavin appear in the doorway out of the corner of my eye. "Delilah?"

I took a deep breath. "We have to tell everyone the truth," I said. "I know I already told you that I'd tell Kason when I was ready, but I think it's time to tell them all. If we don't, something is going to happen and they aren't going to be prepared."

He nodded. "Okay." He watched closely as I placed our mother's wedding ring back in the box and then closed it. "How do you want to tell them? One on one? All of them together?"

Grabbing the box, I pushed it into the back of my closet and out of sight. "I think we should get them all together. It'll be a lot easier that way."

Taking a deep breath, he nodded again. "When?"

I shrugged. "We'll have to see when everyone will be able to get together again after school, but as soon as possible."

#

I quickly walked through the hallways, heading in the opposite direction of my first class of the day, yet hoping to be able to reach class in time before the bell rang. There were more people lingering in the hallway than normal that morning since it was Monday and people were waiting until the very last minute to get to class. I scanned the halls for a particular boy with shiny brown hair and daring blue eyes. Sooner than later, I found him at his locker, shoving his backpack inside. "Kason!" I called, making my way toward him.

He heard my voice immediately and looked for my face in the crowded hall. As soon as he spotted me, he smiled widely and waited as I approached him. "Hey."

"Hey," I said grinning immediately in return. This boy's smile gave me a warm feeling inside and I was loving it. "I was wondering if you wanted to hang out later. With everyone, I mean."

His smile faded to a line and he shook his head. "Can't. I'm going to take Lucy to see mom after school," he told me. Then, his small smile appeared again. "You should come, too. You're more than welcome to join us. Plus, I know my mom would love to see you again."

Although I was delighted by his offer, it was my turn to shake my head. "Next time," I told him as he closed his locker. "After what happened, I think you and Lucy need that alone time with her."

He nodded. "You're probably right."

"Is your dad going?" I asked him.

He shook his head. "No, he has to work this evening. He visited her last night." At that time the warning bell rang and the sound of lockers shutting flooded the hall. "We better get to class. Jaxon would kill me if I was the reason you were late for class."

I grinned before Kason kissed the top of my forehead, taking me by surprise, then smiled softly before turning away and heading toward his class. What were we? I asked myself as I looked around, checking to see if anyone had seen what had happened. I cared about him—that I knew. And he cared about me—that I also knew. But what were we? That, I had no idea.

#

After grabbing a lunch tray, I looked around the room and spotted my friends at our usual table in the lunchroom. As I approached, I caught words of their current conversation. "Not until four," my brother said, glancing down at a nonexistent watch on his wrist.

"What's at four?" I asked, sitting down between Aria and my brother, in front of Kason. Holden was in front of Aria and Marla was in front of Jaxon.

"A fight," Kason answered me.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "I thought you said you were taking Lucy to visit your mom after school."

"I am," he confirmed. "I'm not fighting today. Only Jaxon is."

"You aren't going with him?"

He shook his head, not thinking twice. "No, but Holden will be there with him as always," he assured me. I nodded, but I still worried about my brother. I'd feel a lot better if Kason was there with him in case he and Holden ran into some trouble.

We all started eating, exchanging small talk in the meantime and before long Miles Anderson walked up to our table. "Ready for the fight tonight?" he asked my brother with a smirk on his face. This was the second time I was seeing him since we got back from our weekend trip, and it was already too many times for me to handle. His squad of two stood behind him, crossing their arms with determined looks on their faces as if they were contributing to our suddenly dropped moods.

"I'm taking you down," my brother replied.

"Wait, what?" I found myself asking in surprise. Was my brother fighting Miles?

"Boy, I've got moves you've never heard of," Miles growled.

Jaxon rolled his eyes. "Oh, please. You're basically a senior citizen."

Miles took a step forward with a dangerous look in his eye, making my brother stand up. Immediately, Kason stood and made his way in best them, placing a hand on each of their chests. "Not now," he told them.

Glaring at my brother, Miles shoved Kason's hand off him and stalked away, followed by his two friends. Once they were gone, I turned to Kason and Jaxon as they sat back down. "You didn't tell me that the fight was with Miles tonight."

Both boys shrugged. "Doesn't matter," Jaxon mumbled.

"It does matter," I said before looking at Kason. "You said that Miles has only lost to you."

He nodded. "That's right."

"Then why are you letting Jaxon fight him?" I asked, raising my voice. I protected my brother, no matter what. But I had no way of protecting him in that fight. "You promised me that you would help him in this."

"I have helped him," he argued back. "I've trained him to the best of my ability. Jaxon is going to win that fight."

I looked at my brother who was looking down at his food and picking at it with his fork. By the look on his face, I could tell that he was stressed. I just hoped he had the confidence in himself to win this fight. 

***

Will Jaxon win his fight against Miles? What will come from the results? How will they tell their friends the truth? 

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Prepare yourself because bigger things will be happening in the chapter next week...

Predictions? Opinion? 

If you enjoyed this chapter, don't forget to VOTE!

~Emily