Chapter 8

*By: @amy_bda*

Ace entered the conference room to find Rina already there, his father talking softly to her. He looked up as his son entered, whilst Rina continued staring blankly ahead.

"Ah, and here he is. Good of you to deign to join us," his father said.

Ace pressed his lips together. He had stood outside the room for half an hour, trying to figure out how he would go in there with Rina. And he knew his father knew he was outside.

Alex raised his eyebrows, daring him to defend himself. When Ace remained silent, he continued.

"I will be blunt. I decided to partner you two, first and foremost because I plan for Ace to take over when I'm gone, and I need him to learn to work with everyone." At this is looked at Rina. "However, due to your combined skill, I believe you would be the best for this mission that has come up."

Rina finally looked up, throwing a venomous look at Ace. "I don't need him. I can do it myself. The status changes nothing."

"What?" asks Ace, bewildered.

"While you took your time, Rina and I have been discussing your target. The FBI has noticed a minor politician.

"They have observed various small changes, changes that seem to lead to unfortunate coincidences. Some money disappearing from his bank account, and a fading drug gang popping back up, stronger than ever. Things like that. However, the FBI has found potential evidence that he is more corrupt than we originally thought.

"The government wants him taken out. That's where you two come in. There is a conference in Washington this weekend, which he will be attending. Unfortunately, there will be a tragic accident. A heart attack, turns out he's an avid smoker. No one will miss him. Some speculate he's only in power due to bribes and blackmailing."

"Sounds simple enough," Ace said.

"Exactly. Which is why I don't need him," Rina cut in.

Alex looked at Rina, and she fell silent. "My superiors have also requested this, so I'm afraid that it doesn't matter what you want or need. It is out of my hands. Mack will take you - he is already in Washington, and you will have a week to observe and remove him. I don't think I need to stress to you the importance of your success. It doesn't matter how new partnership is to you, the FBI won't tolerate any mistakes." 

Ace glanced at Rina and gulped.