>1<

Percy's POV

How did we end up talking
In the first place
You said you liked my Cobain shirt
Now we're walking
Back to you're place
You're telling me how you love that song about
Living on a prayer
I'm pretty sure that we're halfway there
And when I wake up next to you
I wonder how
How did we end up here?

I walked through the busy streets of Manhattan as my music played in my right ear. I tried to walk as slow as possible--I was not ready to face the crowds of people at school. It was the first and worst day of school. Summer had really ended and this sad reality set in as I trudged along. I wanted to get away from these people as much and for as long as possible. I was just glad this my last year having to put up with name calling and what not. But that day was nine months away. As for right now, I had to deal with the exclusion and the bullying, as I did every year.

Ever since freshman year at Goode High, I have been ruled the outcast, the freak, the emo who sits in the back of the class, the dangerously unstable loner. That's all thanks to Luke Castellan; a grade-A, backstabbing, douchebag. In freshman year he had told everyone. I would say that I'm over it, because I don't hold unhealthy grudges, but I'd be lying to you terribly. And I hate liars. I mean, exhibit A: Luke.

People probably think that I'm unstable because I'm dyslexic and ADHD. But I'm not mentally unstable. Those are all different things. Unfortunately for me, the students at Goode are too stupid to know or care.

One might say I've lived a difficult life; my dad died when I was six, my mom remarried to an abusive drunk, my ex-girlfriend did something that I don't really want to talk about, and everyone hates me.

Let's start with my dad. He was shipped off to be a Marine. My mom always said that he wanted to stay, but he couldn't--he was drafted. I still remember the day that he died. My mom getting the phone call. I remember peeking around the corner and watching her cry. I knew what had happened. I knew that even though my father had promised he would come back, he wasn't coming home.

Don't want to talk about my first and probably last girlfriend.

And for our final topic: an abusive drunk for a step-dad. That's always fun. Gabe Ugliano is the disgusting man that my mother married for my sake; he brought in cash that we needed to pay rent, and tuition. My mom married him when I was eight, two years after my dad died. She was still sad about my father; I could tell. But she never showed it, for my sake. The abuse started two years later; when I was ten. He would punch and slap me--as I got older, the beatings got worse. The worst one was when I was fifteen. He was really drunk, and really angry. He was pissed about something like--

"Sorry."

I stopped short to avoid being ran over. I looked to my left to see who had nearly killed me. It was a girl with wild, frizzy, blonde curls. She wore a black baseball cap over them, along with black ripped jeans, a white sleeveless t-shirt, and a red flannel tied around her waist. To top it all off, she wore classic black and white high-top Converse. She looked to be around my age, with tanned skin, and fit.

"What the hell!" I yelled after her. She just kept riding her skateboard down the street. She looked back once and we locked eyes for a split second. Her eyes were a stormy grey. They startled me, not going to lie. Her gaze was powerful and intimidating. That was all I could catch in the brief seconds of eye contact. I shook my head and kept walking.

Eventually, and quite unfortunately, I made it to school. I walked up the steps and pushed through the doors.

Here we go.