>6<

TRIGGER WARNING: this chapter contains mentions of bullying. If you or someone you know is being bullied, please speak up to a trusted adult. Know that you matter and are important.

Percy's POV

"Take it off." I heard a low, raspy voice order. Suddenly, the bag that had been pulled over my head, blocking my vision, was yanked off. I looked around. I took me a minute to figure out that we were behind the school, in a small alley that was well hidden. This wasn't the first time I had been here. Which only meant that the voice came from one person:

Luke Castellan.

"What do you claim I did to you this time, Castellan?" I asked coldly.

"Hm. Lest see. You laughed when that girl beat me up—"

"Can you blame me?" I asked. "It was pretty hilarious and a triumphant moment for all the people you torment. Me, in particular." I glared at him. I could have a pretty startling gaze if I was angry enough. Which, right now, I was. But my anger and ADHD—which makes me impulsive—caused me to run my mouth, only making things worse.

Apparently, Luke didn't think Chase's victory was that hilarious. My comment earned me a right hook to the jaw. There was a sickening crack as his fist collided with my left jaw line. It felt like someone had thrown a brick at my face. "And I'm angry. Now, for your little comment, and at that girl. But I find it easier to take it out on you." He planted a swift kick to my gut, causing me to lean forward as much as I could with two of his goons holding my arms.

Luke threw another punch at the right side of my face, but I ducked, throwing Luke off balance. He stumbled, and followed through with his punch all the way to the ground. One of the minions went to help his master, leaving my left arm free. I used this opportunity to attempt to punch the guy holding my right arm, and twist out of his grip. Key words: attempt to.

The kid holding my right arm easily caught my punch, holding me there. The other goon helping Luke was finally finished, for when I looked back, Luke was standing and both were looking very angry. Shit. Luke's going to really beat me to a pulp now. The other crony came to grab my left arm. He pulled me back in place, and everything was the same as it was a few minutes ago.

But the worst part is, is that I know how this works. Here's the thing; when you try to escape Luke, you have to escape Luke. If you don't, you might not be able to walk away when he's finished. Which is exactly why my mind had one thought:

Well, fuck.

Luke glared at me, but with a manic smile. I swear to you, sometimes I question this kid's mental health. "You think you could pull a fast one there, Jackson?"

Jackson. Hearing the name made me think of Annabeth. The name sounded different when she said it. It sounded..... better, than when Luke said it. I don't know why though. Remembering how she beat Luke's sorry ass made me internally smirk. She's definitely a fighter. For as much as I hate her, I would love to have some backup right about now. And not just because she's a girl—Luke is so twisted he'd even hit a girl—but because she's strong and quick enough to outsmart him. Great. Now I sound like a coward, wishing someone would help me. For as cowardly as it was, it was also impossible. The entire time as Luke punched, kicked and God only knows what else, no one came to my rescue. Meaning by the time they were finished, I was left there on the ground, crippled. I didn't let a few tears slip until I knew that Luke and his minions were gone. As I laid there, struggling to regain my bearings, I silently wished that some day, I'd be given the strength and confidence to put that asshat in his place. Maybe.

><•><

"What happened to you?" Chase sat down next to me under the bleachers, an eyebrow raised, and a look of slight disgust on her face.

I looked up at her, not bothering to raise my head, which had been down all day while my hood was up, hiding my bruises and cuts. "It's really that bad." I said to myself, though she heard.

"Yup. You look like someone hit you with a bus. How'd you do that to yourself?" She took a bite of her peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Her words were blunt and she spoke loudly, making her a very obnoxious person.

"Why do you care?" I asked defensively. I was building my walls even higher now. I didn't feel like giving a recap of yesterday's events, especially to Chase; she would just laugh at me.

"So I can go high five them. Why else?" She gave me a look. Clearly, she didn't take the hint.

"Oh, so you want to high give Castellan after you kneed him in the balls? I don't think he'd appreciate it."

"Castellan." Her anger was visible by her scowling face and clenched fist. "He's such an asshat. Just hearing his name makes me want to punch his face in, and I've known him for two days." She said to no one in particular.

I smirked. "Imagine having to deal with him for three years, going on four?"

She looked back at me. "Must suck for you." She said with absolutely no sympathy whatsoever.

"Thank you, for your sympathy." I said sarcastically.

"Anytime, Asshole." She said.

"You ever gonna stop calling me that?"

"What?" She shoved the rest of her sandwich in her mouth and brushed off her hands.

"Asshole."

"Probably not, Asshole." She shot me the most annoying smirk.

"Fine, Wiseass." I retorted, smirking. She really was a wiseass. I mean, her last comment: Exhibit A.

"I take that as a compliment." She pulled out a sketch book. She continued working on a sketch of a girl.

"'Course you do." I mumbled and put in my earbuds.

I swear I can't win with this one.

I don't recall a single word
It hit me faster than I heard
Inside my head

•••