Chapter Fifteen

FP's POV

I laughed, throwing a card down. Playing poker against Sweet Pea and my boy was easy, as they were so mediocre. I took the piles of tokens into my own part of the table, smiling. A cigarette hung lazily out of my mouth as I dealt the cards again. My son looked pissed off, but I knew he was just like me. He wouldn't give up til he'd won. It was the Jones gene, we had to keep fucking up until we got it right. 

The Wyrm was relatively empty, only a few Serpents at the bar, and the two younger males sat with myself at the table. It was a Wednesday at around what I assumed six, so most were at home with their folks. The door swung open, but the three of us were to entranced in the game to look at who it had been. 
"I bet fifty." I said, pushing the counters into the middle of the table. But, before they reached their spot, a hand slammed on the oak. My eyes trailed up the unknown limb, to see Jasmine's face, and watch her cough over the chips, a scarlet red mixture spluttering on our cards. Her hand was clutching her stomach, and as she moved it, I saw blood. So much, covering her stomach, her hand and trailing around to reach her chest, and her pants. 
"Oh my God." Jughead's whisper came from in front of me, but I'd drowned it out, focusing purely on the bright red in contrast to the pale skin. I sat, mouth wide, as she stumbled backwards, collapsing on the floor. 

Without thinking, I stood, throwing everything that had been on the table onto the floor in one movement, then rushing to put Jasmine onto the table. I removed her jacket and lifted her shirt, looking to the deep cut below the belly button. Usually, removing her clothes was something I loved doing, and staring over her curves was a blessing. But now, I did it with reluctance, scared for her life. John had rushed over, a towel in his hand, and pressed on the wound as Sweet Pea called the ambulance. I held her cheek, looking over her dull eyelids. They shifted and opened weakly, and she quietly spoke. 
"FP..." She coughed. 
"Jasmine, you're gonna be okay." I told her, moving the hair from her face. Her eyes began to close again, causing me to shout, startling her. 
"Stay with me, okay. The ambulance is coming." I tried to remain strong, but I was internally panicking. I couldn't lose her. "Who did this?" I dared ask, knowing I would fucking kill them. 
"Malachai." Her voice was raspy, sore. "I don't have medical insurance, I can't go to the hospital." She explained, becoming more upset. 
"Too bad, you're going." I shouted, trying to keep her awake. 
"Dad, calm down, you're scaring her!" Jughead exclaimed, pissing me off. If he would just leave, I could kiss her, but with him there I had to act like there was nothing between us. But, I felt something more. I wasn't going to tell her I loved her, because she was a teenager, and I was well past my years. But part of me did, as cliche and moronic it was. 
"She needs to stay awake." I said to him, taking off my jacket and rolling it up, placing it under her head. "She was coughing blood, they could have punctured her stomach." I hated admitting it, but it was true. I needed to be real with myself at this moment. 

"FP, I'm-" She stopped. I watched as her eyes rolled back, and she went into shock, seizing. I'd never felt weaker at any point in time. The girl that made me want to change was suffering, and I couldn't do anything. Malachai would have hurt her because he'd known about our living arrangement, and he'd known it would hurt Jug and I. And he was right, hurting her would kill me. He'd already hurt my boy. I decided it was probably right to worn Gladys, to protect Jellybean. I couldn't have her getting hurt too. 
"They're here." Jughead told me, holding my arm. As I watched them put Jasmine on a stretcher, I began to cry more, in fear, but also in pain. They hurt my girl. They were going to pay. I looked to Jughead, he too filled with tears, and anger. 

"Boys, let's go find these c*nts." 

John had come up from the basement, wielding a few baseball bats. That was enough, as soon as I got my hands on Malachai I'd beat him. Walking out of the Wyrm, I looked to the trail of blood Jasmine had left, following it through to some bushes. Her bag was on the floor, contents spilled on the floor. I searched through it, finding a card. It was written in, but not in an envelope. 
'FP
It's beautiful, isn't it? 
I love you
Jasmine.' 

I looked to the other surroundings, confused. I searched for anything she could have given me with it, something 'beautiful', but there was nothing. The boys stood behind me, and I heard Jughead vomit in the bushes. Standing up, I went to comfort him, however he pushed me off. 
"I can't do this, dad. Jasmine needs me." He said, starting to walk off. 
"Son, she'll be in theater for another few hours to say the least." I told him, wanting him to accompany on the rampage. 
"No, dad. There's something you don't know." He stifled a cry. "It's my fault, I was supposed to go with her." He whispered, before turning and walking off. I looked to Sweet Pea, John and the others, wondering what he'd been talking about. John had also looked guilty, but I didn't ask. She'd tell me when she was ready. I trusted she would. 

There was a bigger pool of blood in front of us, where I'm guessing it had happened. It was hard to look at, thinking of her all alone, in pain. It angered me more. In the distance I could see fire, something I knew the Gholies would have lit. We ran ahead, and like I'd thought, there was a group of them. Malachai's curls were visible from meters away. I brought the bat behind my neck, ready to swing. He'd spotted us, and smiled as he stood.  
"Forsythe Jones." He began, his minions watching him in delight. 
"You're gonna pay for what you did." I spat, swinging my bat and hitting him in the head. He fell to the floor, blood gushing from his head, laughing. 
"Daddy Jones upset?" He asked. I was slightly perplexed by his nickname, perhaps he'd thought Jasmine was like a daughter to me. The thought of that was odd, because she was anything but.

I swung again whilst he was on the ground, hearing a crack. The other Gholies joined in, attacking the Serpents who'd come with me. 
"Police!" I heard one of them scream, and with that, we had to leave. I knew I hadn't killed the kid, but I'd certainly broken his legs. I knew I'd have to make it to the hospital before Jasmine woke up, to be there for her. I doubted her parents would be by her side, so she'd have the Serpents. It was gonna be a tough road ahead, but I had her back. We all did.