Golden Friends

I didn't know where I was going, but I had to get away from Jim. I kept driving and driving, until I found myself at Kyle's house.

We were still close friends, in fact probably closer than we ever were in high school. I knew I could trust him.

I got out of my car, and made my way to his front porch. I knocked on his door, and he opened the door after about a minute of waiting. Noticing the look on my face, he carefully asked, "Hey, Derek. What's wrong?"

"My marriage is ruined," I told him glumly. His eyes widened, and he practically pushed me into his house. Him and Steve had recently broken up, so he was currently focusing more on his work.

Knowing this, I felt kind of reluctant to push my relationship struggles onto him, but I felt like I really needed to tell someone.

We sat down on the couch together. Kyle cleared his throat. "Explain," he demanded.

"Jim fucking cheated on me," I whispered brokenly. "Probably several times, I think. I found out by looking at his messages. When I confronted him, he said there was some other side to it, but I didn't listen and started driving." I felt like that pretty much summed it all up.

Kyle looked shattered. "I didn't think Jim was like that," he sighed.

"Neither did I," I spat.

Kyle gave me a hug, and I sighed as I hugged him back. This was just what I needed. Someone that cares.

"Cheating is despicable," Kyle started, playing with my hair to probably keep me calm. "I in no way condone it, but maybe you should hear him out. It sounds strange, but what if there really was some other reason he did this?"

Communication is the key to any relationship, but I wasn't sure how anything he could say would fix this. What exactly changes this situation?

"I know," I agreed. My voice was weak. "It's just... I don't know. I thought we were perfect. I thought that one day we would adopt a kid together, spend the rest of our lives together. But..." I hesitated. "Maybe it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe I'm not good enough for him."

Kyle stopped playing with my hair suddenly. "Derek," he said sternly. "That is not true, and you know it. He's a fool if he let's you go like that."

It's hard to believe anything he's saying. I came here, firm in my beliefs, and it's hard to let them go. To think that maybe there's more to this than meets the eye.

"I'll talk to him tomorrow," I tell him. "Can I spend the night here? I'm really tired."

He smiled. "Of course."