Back Of a Get Away Car

Derek's POV

Even though I agreed to Matthew's demands, I knew that it was wrong. I knew I had to get out and get away from him.

But I was lacking bravery. Days passed by as I held onto these thoughts with litle action. After one particularly terrible night with him, I knew it was time to leave, damn the consequences.

None of my possessions that were inside his home meant much to me. During the night, I crawled out from under his protective arms and grabbed my phone, wallet, keys, etc. Everything else was replaceable. All I needed was my safety.

I grabbed the note I had prepared earlier and placed it on the nightstand on my side of the bed.

Dear Matthew,

Don't come looking for me. You know that this is over, and you can't scare me anymore. Farewell,

Derek.

If it were for anyone else, I would've thought that note to be rude. But Matthew, dare I say it, had become my hell. Everything I felt was wrong with me linked back to him, in a way, and I couldn't feel guilty about any of this.

After I placed the note, I got the fuck out of there, never to return.

Of course, this was the easy part. I didn't have an apartment anymore, considering he convinced me to move in with him. I knew that for the time being, I had to stay with a friend.

And I'm not sure what made me call him. Maybe it was just remembrance of the way he used to make me feel, how warm I'd feel when I was around him. I wanted that warmth again.

I heard it ring three times before he finally picked it up. "Hello?" he answered, yawning. Right. It was late.

"Jim," I say, and I can practically feel his shock. "I... I need your help."

"Derek, what's wrong?" Jim rushes out, suddenly concerned. "Are you okay? I'll help you, I promise!"

His worrying almost made me smile. "I was wondering if you could pick me up," I say, and begin to explain. "Um, I finally got away from him. I suppose you were right about him."

Jim quickly agrees, and I could hear him rushing around his house to grab his keys. But then he asks, "What did he do to you?" The anger in his voice is apparent.

"We can talk about it later."

When his car pulls up in front of me almost half an hour later, I eagerly jump in. I feel so grateful that he would help me out, considering the way things had ended between us. "I just want to say thanks," I sigh.

"Anything for you, Derek," Jim smiles. "Anything."

I wish it was true.