Drifting

Peter

-

I decided to stay up and keep an eye on Percy, just in case something happened. I wonder what that man did to him. The state that Percy was in when he came back to us was definitely concerning. And his arm—how bad was it?

I heard Percy mumbling in his sleep. I glanced at him and he looked alright. I looked at his arm and the blood was getting worse. Percy would have to check on it in the morning. Suddenly, Percy winced. I watched as his pain seemed to look like it was getting worse. Then he started to scream. I got up and ran to him.

"Percy! Wake up!" I grabbed him by the shoulders.

The screaming only got worse.

"Percy! PERCY! WAKE UP!" I yelled and shook his shoulders.

His eyes snapped open and he sat up quickly. He was breathing heavily as he closed his eyes slowly. He winced, and I saw him bring his left arm closer to his chest.

"Percy?"

He shook his head. "I'm fine. I just...need to stay up for a while." He stood up, but stumbled a bit. I quickly got up and helped him. "Seriously, I'm fine." He told me as he jerked away from my grasp. "You should go to sleep, I can stay up."

"No!" I argued. "You need your rest."

"I am not going back to sleep." He whispered sharply. He sighed. "Please. One of us needs to sleep. It needs to be you, okay?" He turned around and walked to the edge of the firelight and sat down.

I obviously wasn't going to win this. I was exhausted anyways. I lied down next to the fire and let myself go to sleep.

-

I woke up to see that everyone else was awake.

"Good morning, Peter!" Lucy said cheerfully to me. She was sitting next to Percy. "Percy told us that we needed to let you sleep, so we didn't wake you." She told me.

I looked at Percy. We made eye contact, but he broke it quickly.

I felt a lot better after sleeping for so long. Maybe there might be something nice in Percy after all. Maybe. I sat up and walked over to them.

"Thank you." I told him.

He nodded and stood up. He walked over to Susan, and they immediately started a conversation.

"I heard him screaming last night..." Lucy said to me. "It scared me...is he going to be alright?"

"He's going to be fine." I told her.

I didn't know she was awake last night. She didn't need to hear any of that.

"Are we ready to go?" I heard Susan say to us.

I turned to her and she was with Trumpkin, Edmund, and Percy.

"Yeah." I stood up and helped Lucy up.

-

I led the way back to the cliff where Lucy apparently saw Aslan. I honestly didn't believe her because I didn't see him myself. And even if she did see him, why didn't I see him? What was the point of believing in him when he wouldn't even show himself?

When we reached the cliff, the day was almost over. Lucy walked to the edge of the cliff.

"So...where exactly do you think saw Aslan?" I asked her.

She turned to us.

"I wish you'd all stop trying to sound like grown-ups!" She walked to the right side of the cliff. "I don't think I saw him, I did see him."