2

It was raining down the streets of Chicago.

People walked around in colourful raincoats and held vibrant umbrellas.

Kids laughed as they jumped into puddles, splashing water on the people around them, making some laugh and some angry.

Natalie, however, kept racing towards the brightly lit café in the corner. She was dripping wet when she finally entered the warm shop, safe from the chilly rain.

"Oh my! You're soaking wet, hon! Let's get you fresh clothes!" The owner of the cozy haven, Lexi, yelled from behind the counter.

Lexi was a very sweet thirty five year old devoted mom to three boys with another baby on the way. The woman always wore a smile and spoke words made of sugar.

She whisked Natalie away to the store room where she handed her a new t-shirt and black jeans.

"And here's a belt! Don't mind the size, these are my spare maternity jeans." She laughed. "I'll keep you behind the counter to hide those hideous pants!" She shouted as she shut the door and gave Natalie the much needed privacy.

Quickly changing into the new clothes, Natalie wondered how Lexi managed being so cheerful and happy while looking after three little hurricanes and a gigantic, six month old baby bump.

Looking after a sixty year old made Natalie's head quake.

The jeans were indeed too loose for her, so the belt came in handy. She pinned a golden badge with her name on it and exited the cold storeroom.

"I desperately need a break." Lexi took off her apron and rubbed her bump. "I'll take care. You go rest." Natalie reassured her. Lexi walked off to the kitchen to stuff herself with cake.

The day went by peacefully and slowly even though the café was filled to the brim with customers.

"Not going for a break?" Lisa, a blonde co-worker, questioned.

"Not really. You go ahead." Natalie gave her a warm smile, encouraging her to go on.

All six staff members were on break. Natalie and the café chef were the only ones in the shop, aside from a handful of other customers.

Natalie was busy sorting bills and arranging the register when the door opened and a gush of wild air tried to blow her off her feet.

"Hey Nat!" A familiar voice rang in her ears.

Her head shot up and her blue eyes met green ones.

"Daniel?" She asked in disbelief.

"Miss me?" He asked as he came forward. Natalie ran into his arms.

Daniel had been Natalie's best friend and partner in crime since they were five. They practically grew up together. Her grandmother would leave Natalie at Daniel's place whenever she went to work. Daniel's mom, Layla, was a very sweet and warm lady who never turned anyone down.

"I missed you so much! You abandoned me." Daniel chuckled as Natalie hugged the life out of him. She pulled away, "You know how things were. My grandmother lost her job. We had to move." Daniel sighed and combed his hair with his long tan fingers. "I know Nat. I should've been there to see you off. I've been a terrible friend. I'm so sorry." Natalie shrugged. "I didn't call you either. I should be the one apologising."

Daniel's eyes caught Natalie's. It looked like he was peeking deep into her soul.

Maybe he really was. Daniel and Natalie shared an incredible bond. 

They had been inseparable when they were young. Layla had hoped that eventually, they'd end up together. She still held on to that hope.

"How have you been, Natalie?" Daniel asked her. It was clearly a serious question to which he expected a very honest reply as he never called her by her full first name.

"How about I fill you in over a cup of coffee."