3

Daniel and Natalie talked for what seemed like forever. They filled each other in on hot gossip and life details.

Natalie didn't have much to reveal. Everything had been identical and torturous. Natalie learned that Daniel had just been offered a job as a paediatrician in a reputable hospital nearby.

Natalie was ecstatic to have Daniel in the same town as her. He was one of the few people who actually cared about her.

"So, I was wondering. Are you seeing anyone?" Daniel asked her out of the blue. This was unusual since Daniel usually didn't care about any guys in Natalie's life.

"Uh. No." She reluctantly replied.

She could swear on all sweet and dear hot chocolate in the world that his face lit up for a moment.

"Well..." Daniel nervously trailed off as he ran his hand through his messy brown hair. His green eyes bore into the mahogany table, as if he were calculating the shortcomings of the design.

"Would you like to go to dinner with me tomorrow?" He finally spoke up.

Natalie was stunned.

She never knew that Daniel felt that way about her.

Sure, she was kind of pretty with her oval face and bright blue eyes. But she was also certain that Daniel would've had girls swooning over his own good looks and personality.

"Okay." She replied in a quiet voice.

A huge smile graced his face as he spoke. "That's great! Text me your address. I'll pick you up at seven. Goodbye, Nat." He kissed her cheek.

He headed out of the café feeling accomplished and happy.

Natalie sat there as she felt the heat and blood rush up to her face. She never knew that a man could have this affect on her. Especially one who had known her forever.

"Girl, you look like you just found your Prince Charming." Lexi giggled as she appeared out of thin air, smelling strongly of cocoa powder.

Natalie felt more blood rush up and Lexi enjoyed watching her failed attempts to cover it up.

Natalie left the café at six in the evening, feeling happier and more hopeful than usual.

She walked past the hotel reception and ditched the elevator for the stairs.

Quietly opening the door, she saw her passed out grandmother with an empty bottle of tequila in her hand.

Natalie didn't care anymore.

She could drink to death for all she cared.

She changed into a comfortable hoodie and track pants before jumping into her bed. She set up her phone and prepared for an hour of binging on television shows before she would be lulled to sleep by the serene sound of the AC.

A loud thump woke her up in the middle of the night. Natalie was a heavy sleeper, so it had to be very loud.

She struggled to open her eyes. The darkness was still intact, indicating that it was night time.

"Hello?" Her grandmother's groggy and annoyed voice picked up the phone. The sound of a man speaking on the other end was clear. 

"What!? Now!?" She suddenly yelled. "Okay." She groaned and threw the phone on the floor, collapsing on the bed again.

Natalie had been literal when she claimed that she did not care about her grandmother anymore.

So she fell asleep again.