Another One Bites The Dust

"Why are you hiding behind a bookshelf, Draco?"

     Jumping, I turned towards the intruder. "I'm not, I'm preparing."

     Leaning to his right, peering around the library's shelving, Knott quirked a brow. Easing back to an upright position, he said, "You're really going to go through with it?"

     Straightening my cloak, I nodded. "Yes, I have to."

     "No, you don't."

     "Yes, I do. I owe Potter my life as well as freedom. He was able to do those things because Granger and Weasley stood by his side."

     "You already thanked Potter, and Zabini spoke with the redhead, so that should cover it." He pointed to Granger. "That mudblood is nothing more than a sidekick and is your ticket to social destruction."

     "It isn't as if I'm going to sleep with her. I'm just clearing my conscience."

     "You'd sleep with her if you thought it would benefit you."

     "No, I wouldn't. Plus, I'm messing around with Diggory and Li, so my fuck ticket is booked full." I thought of Harry, and my stomach rolled.

     "Being social with Granger in any capacity is as bad as marrying her."

     "Did you forget, she saved Severus' life?"

     He crossed his arms. "You mean the half-blood."

     "That man is as good as family to me."

     Knott lifted his pointy chin. "Snape was a traitor to the Dark Lord. It's a shame that Nagini didn't end him."

     "Watch yourself, Knott."

     He let his arms hang at his sides and moved in front of me. "I don't know what Pansy sees in you," he hissed.

     I shrugged. "Me either. I wish she would find someone else to annoy or, better yet, jump off the astronomy tower without a broom."

     He glared at me. "Pansy deserves to be treated like a queen, not used and tossed aside like trash."

     "Pansy's the one who made herself disposable when she propositioned me. I never would have touched her otherwise."

     "That's a lie, and we both know it."

     The hairs on the back of my neck stood up. "You don't know anything. But if you want my scraps, please, eat up."

     "You are going to regret getting caught up with the Golden Trio. Don't say I didn't warn you." Knott shook his head and stomped away.

     Rolling my shoulders, I tried to shove the Slytherin's words out of my mind. His timing sucked since I already had my father's disapproving glare at the forefront of my mind when he interrupted me. Stepping out from behind the bookshelf, I took a deep breath and forced my quaking legs to stroll Granger's way.

     The Lioness, sat at a long oak table reading what looked to be a letter.

     "Granger."

     Jumping, she slid the parchment into a book and glared at me. "Yes, Malfoy?" She ground out through clenched teeth.

     "Do you have a few minutes to speak with me?" My stomach twisted, shooting bile up my throat.

     Granger leaned back and crossed her arms.

     Swallowing the acidic stomach fluids, I said, "I grew up in a home where I was taught anything less than pure-blood is inferior."

     She frowned.