Chapter one, Devil's Snare

December 1998

St. Mungo's

Private Room 893

≿————- ❈ ————-≾

     The blue dress slithered behind my mother as she paced back and forth in front of me. "How could you do such a thing, Pansy? This scandal will ruin our good name."

     "Sorry, mom, but I didn't have a choice."

     My father sat in a chair at my bedside, shaking his head. "Did you know that traveling to the past would have dire consequences when you did it?"

     "I wanted Draco Malfoy to do the right thing and turn Potter over to the Dark Lord. Had he done that, we would have Voldemort in charge, and all would be well for the Pure-bloods."

     "Oh, Pansy." My father rubbed his hands over his face so hard I thought he was going to pull the skin off his skull. "Your actions had nothing to do with Voldemort, only that dumb Malfoy boy!"

     "He's not dumb, daddy!"

     "Are you aware of how many people died when Riddle was in control of the Ministry?" my mother snapped at me.

     "A lot." I shrugged. "But I thought going back was going to fix all that. Those people would be alive."

     "Riddle was a power-hungry lunatic who didn't know how to rule, only oppress," Mother hissed.

     "He had a purpose," Grandmama said in a soothing tone as she stared out the window. Snow fluttered down from the sky and blanketed the ground—cleansing it.

     "What was it, Grandmama?" I was always eager to learn from her.

     She adjusted her ring's on her jewel adorned hand. "To show how easily the masses would fall into line if we ever decided to push for a new world order."

     "You call that falling in line?" Father huffed.

     "I've seen worse in my day, Geralt," Grandmama's tone was as warm as the weather.

     Mother took a long drink from her ever-present firewhisky flask with the Parkinson family coat of arms carved into its side. "Pansy is going to be imprisoned in Azkaban, and they will lose the key just to have something to hold over our good name."

     I wanted to cry and beg for forgiveness but knew it would only upset Grandmama. Instead, I sat pretty in my hospital bed and tried to keep a calm head on my racing heart and churning stomach.

     "I can't get her out of this, Katherine." Father rubbed his chin.

     "Can't you retrieve her corpse as we discussed?"

     "What corpse?" I looked between my father and Grandmama.

     My Father finally said, "Yours, from when you time-traveled the first time."

     "I what?"

     My mother glared at me. "You mean you didn't read the newspapers or hear anyone talk about your fuck-up?"

     "Language, Viola," Grandmama chided.

     Mother's eyes sparkled with menace. "You traveled back once, and Draco Malfoy killed you."

     "No." Shaking my head, I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

     "Then the Malfoy Heir stopped you from going back the second time." Mother laughed then took a drink from her flask.