The Summoning

"Harry"—Hermione sang as she danced around the bottom of the Burrows' creaky stairs—"Harry, look!"

     "What?" I asked in my gravely morning-voice as I made it to the landing.

     She waved a few envelopes around as if she'd won the lottery. "It's from Hogwarts! We are invited back to finish our education." 

     "Oh." My stomach rolled as I thought about the last time I was at the castle. It was in shambles with stones strewn about intermixed with shattered glass, and broken bodies of friends and foes.

     Hermione handed me one of the rain dampened envelope's before she pranced over to the dinning table. She sat and kissed Ron's cheek, smiling the whole time.

     I recognized Minerva McGonagall's slanted penmanship spelling out my name across the front. I planned on becoming an Auror since I found out there was such a job, so I needed to complete my education to be considered for an apprentice position. Running my thumb over the envelope's seal, I wondered why I wasn't the least bit excited.

     "Isn't this great news?" Ginny asked from her seat at the table. A plate of hot-cakes sat steaming in front of her, as she poured homemade blueberry syrup on them.

     "Brilliant," I responded on auto-pilot—as I had been doing all summer.

     "Then why do you look like someone stole your last treacle tart?" Ron asked.

     Shrugging, I stuffed the letter into my pocket and made my way to my seat.

     "What is it, Harry?" Hermione squinted.

     Sighing, I said, "Well, what do you think it will be like to return there without... you know, everyone?" I felt my friends widened eyes focus on me—including the Owl's—and regretted saying anything.

     "It will be good for each of you," Mrs. Weasley insisted with her half-smile pasted in place. It wasn't the same cheerful gesture it was before Fred's passing, but she was doing her best to be strong for everyone. "Now, Harry, how many hotcakes and sausage links would you like for breakfast?"

     "Three, please." I held up the same amount of fingers in case I mumbled as I tend to do before drinking any caffeine.

     Molly nodded and began piling food onto a plate. 

     "I'm looking forward to returning and finishing school," Ginny chimed in as she slid the coffee pot my way.

     "Don't lie, you just want to boss people around during quidditch," Ron teased.

     She stuck her nose up in the air and said in a playful tone, "Well, I am the Captain after all."

     Hermione and I chuckled.

     Molly placed my plate in front of me. 

     "Thank you." I blew on my hot beverage so I could get some of it in me sooner.

     "Sure, Harry, dear," Molly said. "There's more if you need it." She waddled back to the stove and moved the sausages sizzling in the frying pan around with a wave of her wand.

     "Now then, Harry," Hermione's know-it-all toned voice rang out. "If you plan on becoming an Auror, you need to finish school."

     "I know."

     "Then why aren't you happy about this opportunity?"

     "I am, I'm just tired."

     "You slept for ten hours."