Someone's Someone - Chapter Eleven

Henna....

Trying not to care, is stressing me out far more than it does to actually care. The UK has been plunged into an unforgiving late November freeze. The temperatures are dangerously low, and it's these low temperatures that have me worrying about Danny and all the other poor souls out there on the streets. Sal, a woman at work, told me about a homeless guy who had been found just the other day, dead in his tent. That's put my worrying through the bloody roof. So much so, I have ended up scouring the streets again for Danny. I just need to know that he's safe. Apparently when the temperatures are this low, there's a Severe Weather Emergency Protocol (SWEP) put in place by the local authorities, to try and get as many homeless people into somewhere safe and warm. It's only temporary, but at least it keeps them safe when it's punishingly cold. The same protocol applies when there are awful storms and gales. The aim is to prevent harm or death, and alongside No Second Night Out (NSNO) hubs and The Rough Sleepers Outreach Team (RST), it certainly seems to be doing just that.

"Any luck?" Keith asks, rushing to come and speak to me before I return back to my warm and cosy flat.

He too, now knows all about my worries for Danny. And surprisingly, he's being quite sympathetic about it. Chilled down to my bones, I shiver. "No, I didn't find him, but I found another chap called Terence. I asked him whether he would like me to get him something to eat and drink, and he said he would love a macchiato, something warm and meaty, and a cream doughnut, so I bought him what he wanted...but sadly, still no sign of Danny." Glad to have helped Terence, I can't help but feel disheartened to have not found out whether Danny is safe or not.

"It could be a good thing that you've not managed to find him, Hen? It might mean he's already somewhere safe?" Keith says, sounding so full of optimism.

Nodding slightly, I agree. "Yeah, he could be." Then I smile, just a small one. "Anyway, I just want to go and call the local outreach team about Terence, he shouldn't be in this weather tonight."

As I turn to do just that, Keith calls out behind me. "I'm off tonight, do you fancy a takeaway and a little company?"

Feeling like I really would be glad of his friendly company, I turn and smile again. "That'll be nice."

Keith taps the side of his jeans with a charming grin. "Great, see you at seven!"

"Great." Is my reply, before turning on my cold heels; now even more desperate to sink my chilled bones into a steaming hot bubble bath after I've called the outreach team about Terence.

**

The outreach team were really very helpful. They said that they would try to get someone out to Terence as soon as possible. Which is encouraging to know. But it doesn't help me to stop worrying about Danny. I even asked the guy who I spoke to about Terence, whether he knew Danny, but obviously he couldn't be sure whether he did or not. Due to the big freeze, all those who work with the homeless are incredibly busy at the moment, with many different people being seen and helped. Just like Keith had said earlier, the outreach guy told me that if I've not been able to find Danny on the streets, he could well be already in some shelter somewhere.

If only I could know that for sure.

I would maybe stop worrying then.

Not even the hot bubble bath that I had been so looking forward to, could slow down my anxious thoughts from running away with themselves. So I think Keith coming round, will help me to take my mind off Danny and how bitterly cold it is out there this evening.

Thump! Thump! Come the gentle pounds to my door.

Talk of the devil, that must be him now.