Someone's Someone - Chapter Fourteen

Henna....

It's been a tough shift. Tough because they emotionally usually are, and tough because I know I have to talk to Keith about us tonight. As I'm saying my quick goodbyes to colleagues and gathering up my things to get ready to go home, my mobile starts ringing with an unfamiliar Bristol number.

"Hello?" Is my wary and rather quiet answer.

"Hi, is this Henna?" Asks an equally unfamiliar voice.

I answer more warily this time, wondering who this could be. "Yes, that's me."

"Hello there, my name is Albert, I own the café on Jacob Street."

Warming to the man's kind voice and his explanation, my reply is far more perky this time. "Yes, sorry, Albert...is everything okay?" I'm thinking that Danny has indeed been using his tab at the café, and so Albert now needs me to top up that tab.

"Um, that homeless fella has just come in. It's the first time he has, since you were both in here last, and I have to say, I'm really worried about him."

Panic instantly squeezes on my heart. "Why? What's happened?"

"He's been beaten up by the look of things. He could barely walk when he came in. Poor fella looks in a lot of pain. I told him that I think he needs to see a doctor or something, but he says he's fine. Then I remembered I had your number. I hope you don't mind me calling you, but I really think he could do with some help?"

Right away, I express how right Albert was to have called me. "I don't mind at all, I'm glad you have. Listen, I'm just leaving work now, I'll come right away." I'm already rushing out of the call room, hurrying down the stairs with my mobile firmly to my ear. "Just try and keep him there until I arrive."

Albert snorts a little, sounding relieved to know that I am coming. "Love, I don't think he's in a hurry to really go anywhere. He's ordered some soup, so that is what he'll have until you get here."

I'm now leaving the building, hit by a blast of freezing cold air as I hurry across the well-lit car park. It's the start of yet another dark and bitingly cold evening, I just hope that my drive to the café isn't hindered by stupid idiots on the roads. Idiots who drive on the icy roads like they're Lewis Hamilton, who end up causing dangerous mayhem during the Bristolian rush hour.

I just need to get to Danny.

Safely.

**

Luck, very much seems to be on my side. The drive was unusually idiot-free, and I have even managed to snag a nearby parking space on Jacob Street. With impatience, I grab my bag from behind my car seat and hurry out of the car and towards the café. The closer I get to the café, the more keen I am to get there. I just have this ingrained feeling that Danny really needs me.

As soon as I open the door, I see the back of him sitting all alone at a small table. No one else is in the café, it's just him and Albert.

With quiet footsteps, I walk up behind him. "Danny?" My voice is just as quiet, because I know that the man who is about to look at me is a fragile man.

"Henna?" There's a solemn surprise to his answer, an answer that is quickly suffocated by him wincing in sudden pain as he turned to look my way.

I find myself wincing as well. Not just because I can see he's obviously in pain, I wince at the sad and tragic sight of him. His left eye is bruised and swollen. His lip has a small cut on the right side of his lower lip. And he looks like he has unhealthily aged since I last saw him.