Someone's Someone - Chapter Fifteen

Danny....

Watching Henna making her sofa all comfortable for me with clean and plump pillows and a duvet that looks just as clean and as plump, I remind myself how lucky I am to be here. How lucky I am for Henna.

Not that long ago, I was ready to give up. But when I rested my head on the cushions that Henna had bought me, I miraculously found some strength. And it was that miraculous strength that made me make the painful journey to the café. The same miraculous strength that let Henna bring me back to her home. If I wasn't so hopelessly lost, my pride would have pushed Henna away. It would have refused to be here now. But I am hopelessly lost. Lost and alone. So when Henna held my hand at the hospital, with hazel eyes full to the brim with compassion and kindness, I realised that I didn't have to do this alone. She really was throwing me a lifeline, and I had to grab onto that lifeline with what little I had left inside of me.

"Will you be okay on here? I know it's not the biggest of sofas, but it's very comfy." Henna is looking in my direction, looking a little flustered with her curls bouncing near to her cheeks.

Smiling at the way she quickly ties her hair up into a messy mound of pretty blonde curls onto the top of her head, my answer comes with the smile never leaving my lips. "I've been sleeping on concrete for god knows how long, your sofa will be the comfiest place I will have slept on for a very long time."

Not looking entirely convinced, Henna is already thinking about what to do next to make me more comfortable. "Would you like a bath or a shower?" She glances back over her shoulder, showing me with her eyes where the bathroom is.

Standing, is beginning to make everything ache. "I'd really like to just rest, if that's okay?" Already, I'm making my way towards the inviting sofa with my pain-riddled body. "I had a wash at the shelter the other night, so hopefully I don't stink?"

Henna is now behind me in her kitchenette—again, trying to put me at ease. "Oh, I'm not trying to say that you smell or anything, I just thought a bath might help with the pain you're in?"

I want to laugh, but know that it's agony if I even try to. "I'll have a long soak tomorrow, if that's okay with you?" I'm now making myself comfy, trying to just sit in a position that I'm happy to stay in for quite some time.

"I'll be at work all day tomorrow, so please feel free to have a bath when I'm gone." Henna answers from not far behind me, before walking herself back in front of me, because she knows that I'm unable to shift around to look at her. "I know it's not exactly dinner time, but do you fancy something to eat?" She's now staring at the funky and retro wall clock on her lemon-coloured wall. "I've not managed to eat yet, so I'm happy to rustle something up?"

Being nearly ten o'clock at night, it's actually way past dinner time. "If you've not yet eaten, Henna, you really need to eat something now." I suddenly become concerned for Henna. She's dishing out all of her kindness to me, and forgetting to look after herself.

With her hands on her hips, she smiles. "Okay, toast it is, then!" She's smiling, but I can see she's visibly tired. "I'm having peanut butter and sliced banana with a little drizzle of honey on mine, fancy some as well?"

Groggy but grinning, I carefully nod. "I'd love some."

Henna smiles, then disappears behind me again as she sets about making us both a late night snack. "If you want me to wash all your things in your backpack, I can do that for you before I leave for work in the morning?"

If I could easily get off this sofa, I'd just go and give Henna a great big hug. Already, she is doing so much for me. Saying just how grateful I am, somehow doesn't seem enough. "A clean set of underwear and clothes would really be great, thank you." I can't see Henna, but I really do hope she can hear my gratitude.