Unpleasantville \\ XI

When Emilia walked into the library, books were strewn haphazardly across the room. When she entered, she saw Damon looking though the shelves and tossing aside books. Stefan joined them and looked at Damon as well.

      "What are you looking for, Damon?" Emilia asked.

      "Not your concern." Damon said, brushing her off.

      "No, but putting Elena in harm's way, that is my concern." Stefan interjected.

      Damon flipped through a book, not looking up and Stefan. "Hm hm. What are you talking about?"

      "I'm talking about Atlanta." Stefan said.

      Damon looked away from his book and at Stefan. "Oh, yeah. Elena and I had a blast."

      "I get it. You're just bitter because one of us gets to be with the person that we love, and poor Katherine is just out of reach. Unless there's another way for you to get into that tomb. Is that what Bree said?" Stefan said, clearly getting annoyed by Damon's comment.

      "You're pathetic when you're fishing."

      "And you're transparent when you're deflecting."

      "Don't you have school?" Damon asked as he grabbed another book off the shelf. Stefan walked out of the room and Damon looked up and watched him leave, followed by Emilia.

~~~

Out in the front courtyard, Emilia and Jess were walking across the lawn together. Jess was observing the necklace around her neck which Emilia just gave her. "It's so pretty. Thank you. God, it'll go with, like, everything. What's the occasion?"

      "No occasion. Just a little friend gift." Emilia replied.

     Emilia and Jess sat down at a table. "Lesbian friend necklace? Cause we're freaky like that?" Jess winked at Emilia sarcastically.

      "Your friendship is important to me."

      "Why are you being so mushy?" Jess asked, laughing nervously.

      "Because you've been avoiding me, and I wanted you to know that whatever is going on with you and Damon, it's ok." Emilia said.

      "I was gonna talk to you about that. I was, but there's just not much to say. You know, we've hung out a couple times. That's it, but...I just feel like we've peaked as friends." Emilia nodded. "This is weird. I shouldn't be talking to you about this. It's weird. It's weird, right?" Jess asked, not wanting to cross the line.

     Emilia laughed. "It's a little weird, but if it's what you and Damon want, then it's not about me."

     "But it's all about you. Damon's your brother, and if something happens, it will most likely be my fault." Jess confessed.

      "Somehow, I highly doubt that." Emilia said as she unwrapped her sandwich and Jess looked at her, unconvinced. "Hey. Since we have the 50's decade dance tonight, do you want to come over? I'm pretty sure I still have my 50's wardrobe, so you can borrow something, because I am pretty sure that you are not prepared." Jess nodded in agreement as she took her own lunch and started to eat it.

~~~

"Damon!" Emilia yelled as she put the finishing touches to Jess' hair. "Damon!" She put down the curling iron and held her hand in front of Jess' face as she sprayed some hairspray onto the front curl that was perched on top of her head, in front of the bun. Emilia picked up a pink bandana and tied it in-between the bun and curl, before stepping back to admire her work. After one more coat of hairspray, it was done. "Okay. Close your eyes." She said as she spun the chair around so it was facing the huge mirror on her vanity.