six.

"Ariella!" Carter yelled, falling to his knees. He twisted her face just so she can see her, with the tear streaks along her cheeks and the red scratch marks that lined her cheeks, too.

But the with a sudden surprise and an instant feeling of relief, the girl's eyes began to flutter open. Carter didn't notice the small smile forming onto his lips as he pulled her in closer and held her in his arms.

"Son of a bitch." He whispered and noticed the knife on the floor, kicking it away with his foot as he pressed his cheek on Ariella's head.

"Are you okay?" She said in a very soft tone and he didn't do anything to answer. Simply, he thought she was dead right then and there. So the amazing fact that Ariella was indeed alive, was enough of an answer.
***
Michael on the other hand,

Was having the exact opposite situation.

He had many friends, due to the fact that he was always such a helpful person and always confronted people when they looked down. One of his friends though, Erin, wasn't replying to his messages and for the last few days seemed to be very upset or depressed in some way. He began to grow worried. Erin, you see, wasn't growing any better, even with Michael's help. She was very broken and was always on the verge of killing herself. No matter if it was pills, or cutting deep, She always was so close. That was, until Michael always came around to tell her to stop. Until Michael came across her mind. Until she remembered that Michael cared.

But today was the day she stopped. She gave up that day, and Michael sat there worried. He thought of many things, but refused to think the one thing she actually did.

But he remembered something he told Erin a while ago.

He told her to write poems.

Erin had a full binder fulled of them. She wrote them when she was upset, or trying to get over something. Michael said it would help her when he took her to the coffee shop they always went to. Erin always listened to Michael, because it was the only person she trusted.

In fact, Erin was Michael's first person he decided he wanted to help. So she was always special in a way to him, and to see her go, was like throwing Michael's heart on the floor and stomping on it. She was beautiful in every way but her horrible past story. She went so unexpected too, Since Michael has been helping her for three years now and she seemingly okay the last time Michael checked up on her. But her smile was fake. But that wasn't the point for Michael, he wanted her to tell him everything she felt. He didn't want people to pretend to be okay. And he told this to her many times. She never listened, though. She didn't want to hurt him.

But look at him now, on the floor, crying his eyes out as he reread poems they always written together.

Maybe poems could help Ariella. He thought to himself as he read the last one again. He knew that they wouldn't, but it was worth a shot, right?

He also knew she will probably never a step a foot into the McDonalds so as long as he works there. But, it's a small town, with not a lot of people.

Odds are he'll see her again at some point. And when he does, he'll get her to say something to him.

But for now, He'll sit in his room, crying, and reading, and writing.

And most of all,

Thinking.