siete - being good with kids has its perks

Siete

When Lawrence told me to keep an eye on my phone, I did.

Throughout the rest of the day, my phone was constantly in my back pocket, ringtone and vibration levels both to the max, just in case...

"Alice are you ok? You seem to be especially attached to that phone of yours today, not that you aren't any other day but just today especially," she frowned at me as she picked up a green bean from her plate and placed it into her mouth gracefully. Honestly, how does she even do that? It's a green bean for goodness sake. You don't even green beans gracefully, you can't.

I ignored her. I felt really pathetic too, why was I looking at my phone like it was going to light up? It wasn't, Lawrence was just playing with me, and even if he did end up texting me, what would he say? Probably something not worth my time. But I was still thankful for him teaching me how to rollerblade and I did lose the bet, it seemed like lately I've been owing him a lot things.

After dinner, I looked out the window and to my surprise there was still light and it wasn't too hot either. It was a perfect time to go on a walk by the beach.

As I changed out of my day clothes into something more comfortable, the thing I anticipated for to happen this entire day, finally happened. That's right ladies and gentleman, my phone buzzed.

My fingers itched to grab the phone off the bed but I stopped myself. I didn't want him to think I was waiting for his text this entire day or anything, that I would make me seem so desperate.

I changed into some comfy sweatpants-like-shorts and a loose, baggy t-shirt with the words "I open at the close" and a minimalist picture of a golden snitch on it. It's all right to let your inner potterhead escape once in awhile right? I decided I could check my phone then; it's been well over five minutes.

Alice, meet me at the diner in ten minutes, I have a favor to ask of you.

The number was unrecognizable to my eyes but I figured it was Lawrence. I checked the time and if I was being extremely precise, I had exactly three minutes left.

I looked down at what I was wearing. Then I figured, screw it.

Once again, exactly like last time, Lawrence was leaning against the door with his arms folded across his chest.

"Honestly, don't you have something better to do than to hang around this diner all day long?" I asked, but was secretly glad he was here, "like I don't know, maybe doing something with your younger siblings?"

"Actually, that's what I was going to ask you for help with," he gestured for me to follow him.

I frowned, what exactly did he mean by that? "Um, help?"

"Yes, well, you see. My mom's going somewhere with that dick boyfriend of hers this weekend and I've never had to take care of so many kids at once so I figured I could use the help of another pair of hands. Plus, I'm sure they'll enjoy having your company there, they're probably sick and tired of me anyway," he explained to me and I understood what he meant. I would probably get extremely pissed off as well if my dad ever went on a date, although I would keep it to myself because I want him to be happy.

"Babysitting? Not to brag or anything but I would consider myself to be a pro," I said jokily. "Not that I have any siblings but still, back home, I'd babysit my neighbors' kids and they all loved me,"

"So is that a yes?" he looked hopeful, and that gave me a chance to joke around with him a bit. Even though I was already set on saying yes, I didn't want him to think so.

"Well..." I pretended to think about it.

"Well what?" he frowned and stopped me from crossing the road; I realized he was bring me back to that meadow.