once - guys are mysterious creatures

Once

"Somebody's dress is see through!"

I heard a singsong voice somewhere to the right of me. I whipped my head around but only saw a blur of colours. It was Dean. I hadn't moved an inch since the phone call with mom, partly because I had no idea what to do, and partly because of what Dean had just said. I was still soaked and it's not like I planned on getting wet so obviously I didn't prepare a change of clothes.

"Oh yess," Lawrence dragged the last letter longer purposely and was simpering, he was doing this just to annoy me, and it was working.

"Piss off," I narrowed my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest; his eyes darted over to my arms but didn't say anything.

Just then, Rosie coughed a little beside us and sat up.

"That's it, I'm outta here, this is way to inappropriate for me," she waved her arms dismissively and sat up. "Feel free to do whatever you guys like just not in my presence. Please," I gaped at her. Was she really four? I felt like she was a ten year old stuck in a four-year-old meat suit.

"Are you sure? I think it would be better if you stayed here because then we would be able to keep an eye on you," I said.

"Nah, seriously, I feel great," she coughed a little but gave a wavering smile. Then she hopped - well, not literally hopped - off the couch. She stretched a little, her cheeks were flushed from the heat but her eyes seemed to be bouncing with excitement.

Lawrence raised an eyebrow at me.

"What?"

"Nothing," he shook his head. What the hell?

I looked up, but Rosie was already gone. I sighed.

"Are you gonna change...or what?" Lawrence gesture at me with his hands, grinning. I swatted his hands away, a little bit annoyed.

"Trust me, that would be fantastic but I doubt borrowing your mom's clothes is a good idea," I mumbled under my breath. I was being a little judgmental, but the way Lauren had held herself today scared me a little. Obviously she was a preeminent woman, there was no doubt about that, but she also came off as a little ostentatious.

"Who told you you could borrow my mom's clothes?"

Oh god, did he seriously have to be so straightforward with it?

"Nobody, that's why I said I won't borrow her clothes," I said and dipped my head down and tied my hair up into a bun, without an elastic band. It was a little trick I learned from my mom, the one thing I actually remember her teaching me. The trick usually only works with wet hair, all you have to do is twist your hair into a normal bun but at the end, tuck the ends underneath. It worked more than ninety percent of the time.

I kept my head down and didn't dare look up. But there was silence.

"Lawrence?" I said to nobody in particular because where he was just seconds ago, there was no one.

I stood up, a little confused as to where in the world he had gone. Is it some sort of a power the Campbell kids had? To disappear into thin air? First Rosie, now him?

After a few seconds, when I saw that he still hadn't showed up, I tiptoed to the closest wall and leaned against it like a ninja while I crept slowly towards the edge. I don't even know why I did that but I guess I just felt I should be a little secretive at that moment. Maybe he was just around the corner, scaring him would be fun too.

"What the hell are you doing?" a voice disrupted my train of thought, and nearly caused me to shit my pants. "You looked like you just robbed my house and is trying to make a run for it. You didn't do that, right?"