ocho - sometimes we make stupid mistakes

Ocho

The next day was Monday and it was also work day. I hated it but also loved it at the same time.

I hated it because I had to wake up early and come on; nobody actually wants to wake up early in the summer. But I also love it because I could test out my new rollerblading skills and even talk to Hunter a little more.

"Now that, is impressive," Hunter crossed his arms and smiled at me. I was on ice cream duty again with Hunter because apparently my mother didn't trust me with waitressing even though I was perfectly fine with doing it.

"I know! I could be considered a professional now," I did a loop and stopped right in front of him with my arms crossed. His blue eyes sparkled and the corners tugged up a little.

"Did you teach yourself how to do this?" he asked, full of curiosity.

I wanted to tell him the truth but for some bizarre reason I didn't want to say it was Lawrence. I wracked my mind to find a reason but I never came to one. I just didn't want to tell Hunter about the time Lawrence and I had shared this past weekend.

So, I lied, "Naw, my mom did,"

"Ah," he nodded like he understood.

"Excuse me? Is anybody here?" A customer seemed a little impatient and was standing by the desk. I blushed and hurried over; I didn't want to keep him waiting for too long.

For the rest of the shift, Hunter seemed to be elsewhere. I mean, he was there, obviously, but he wasn't actually there, if that makes any sense at all. Once, a customer told him to get some cookie dough flavoured ice cream and he got them strawberry. He couldn't have heard the person wrong because cookie dough and strawberry sound nothing alike. He didn't even realize his mistake until the customer stared at him oddly without taking the ice cream.

The day went by a lot quicker than I anticipated. Maybe it was because of the new rollerblading skills I had gotten from Lawrence, or maybe it was just how many customers there were. But either way, the day went by in a blink of an eye and before we knew it, we were taking off our rollerblades and heading towards exit. Well, everyone else was, I was heading upstairs.

Throughout the day, I had my eyes out for any sign of that arrogant, self-absorbed pile of narcissism, also known as Lawrence. But he never came to the diner and I didn't seem him anywhere else either. I wanted him to show but it's not like I would talk to him with Olivia around sending me death glares all day, non-stop. Plus, he wouldn't come to the diner every single day.

"Hey, uh, Alice?" Hunter scratched the back of his head with his right hand, not daring to look my in the eye. I frowned, what was he up to now? Did he do something wrong? Maybe he needed some help with work but was too embarrassed to go up to my mom and ask straight up.

"Yeah what's up?" I quickly put my rollerblades down and faced him after I wiped my hands on my work outfit.

"I'm just say it ok?" His cheeks looked flushed and his eyes weren't the usually happy eyes he had. Something was bothering him, I could tell, and I was worried.

"Go ahead," I gave him a puzzled look.

"Wouldyouliketogowatchamoviewithme?" A string of words escaped his mouth and I had absolutely zero idea what he had said.

"Ummmmmm," I laughed a little, what did he say?

"Really? You seriously didn't hear me?" he placed a hand on his forehead that seemed to be matted with sweat. "Oh god, well here it is again. Would you like to go watch a movie with me?"

This time his words were separated and I could hear his words as clear as day. If I had water in my mouth it would not be a good sight. This was probably the last thing I expected him to say to me, and definitely not in such a...nervous manner. I may be being slightly stereotypical right now but I can't help it. He just doesn't seem like the type of guy to have trouble with girls. I mean, I only see him during work and I've never seen him around girls other than Olivia and me, and Olivia doesn't even really count. He seemed so out of it today and not to mention the huge fail that I had just witnessed.