Chapter 2

Finally I hear her voice, loud and clear as she breaks the silence.
"Do you remember the games a few years back? I was twelve back then so they have to be the 146th Hunger Games."
I have to think about it at first, then I ask: "Those were the careero killed his allies in the second night?"
She nods, laying on the small couch they have, it's a very rough material.
"Yeah, I really hope we don't have an arena like that this year", I say.
"Same, if I were there I would have been lost, like most were. A small starting area and sandy islands, your death if you can't swim!", she explains the situation to me again, "no wonder the girl from distric four won!", she added.
It was silent for a few moments before I start talking again, this time my voice full of hate: "I can still see the peacemakers laugh when the guy from distric five electroduced himself and his allies."
"Me too", she said quietly.

It's later that day and I'm sitting in our small garden. The winter was pretty cold so we didn't get a lot out of it this year, hopefully next year will be better.
"Did you prepare your outfit for tomorrow?", my mom asks.
I just nod, tired and a bit afraid.
She signs. "I know I can't spend much time at home and I'm sorry, but you know that we need the money", she tries to apologize.
"It's fine", I say and smile a little.
I know she works hard to keep us alive. The dark bags underneath her eyes show how tired she is, her once long light brown hair is cut short to be more practical.
"How about you go to sleep now?", she suggests. "Sounds good."

I enter my small room upstairs and see a white shirt and black jeans on the end of my bed. I don't own too many clothes and expesive ones like this are rare in our whole district.
Next to them is a small bottle of deodorant, also very rare.
I change into my sleeping clothes and lie down, the hard bed keeps me awake. Well, this and my own thoughts.
Staring at the wooden ceiling I'm wondering who they are going to send into the arena? How will it look this time? Will it be a forest, maybe a huge field? Or will it be more like the one I talked about with Res? If so, we would loose again. Most people can't swim and don't even get the chance to learn it, there are no lakes here.
I'm not really good at it but manage to not drown. That's pretty good considering I had to teach it myself in a small lake near my training place, outside the district.
I finally feel how my body gets heavier and close my eyes.

"Vivus! Wake up and hurry up!", my dad yells from downstairs.
I get up, still sleepy, and am confused. What is- the reaping!
Even tho our district starts at 11am we have to be there earlier, getting our prints and all that stuff.
I quickly get ready and wash my hair, then change my clothes.
It feels weird, knowing that today two people will be randomly choosen to die. But I'm used to it, we all are.

The small space in the center of the lower class we have is already filled with hundreds of people, twelve year olds being afraid and loud, it's their first reaping, eightteen year olds standing there and waiting, nervous because they have a high chance of getting reaped.
I look around and notice Res, she's wearing a stained light grey shirt, which was originally white, ripped jeans and boots her father owned before he died last year, her hair tied back as usual.
"Res! Good luck!", I yell, hoping she would hear me. She turns around and nervously smiles at me. "Be safe!", she answers with a voice full of fear.
"Go", I hear a Peacekeeper tell me, I listen.

Now we're all standing there and look up at the big screen they build, where president Renen is shown.
"Welcome!", his voice is loud and clear, "to the 150th annual Hunger Games!"
"pssh", I hear and feel someone tip my schoulder.
"What?", I whisper angrily.
A boy with short balck hair.
We're not supposed to talk! Who do they think they are? If we get cought they're going to punish us like they did with two children last year.
"From that girl over there", he wisphers and places a cotton nacklace in my hand.
I allow myself to look at the direction he pointed at and see Res, she smiles a bit, I carefully nod to her and smile back, then look up at the screen again.
Had she made it herself? But when?

President Renen had already finsihed his speech and is now opening a small letter.
"As you all know, this year is one of our beloved Quarter quells!", he smiles at the camera and shows his white teeth. He looks more normal than most of the capitol citicenz. Short white hair, a black suit. He's young, only 27 years old. The former president died when he visited the arena, some mutations were still alive. The game makers were obviously killed, we never heard of their familys again.
"Which means there will be a special twist added to the games! And I know you're all exited for me to reveal it!", I hate how enthusiastic he makes his voice sound. People are being murdered, my god.

"So let's take a look!", he opens the small letter, "To remind everybody that their situation is the fault of the rebellion alone, and to remind everybody of the generosity of the capitol, which still had the hearth to help the districts in the darkest of times, there will be ruins hidden in the arena!" The people around me begann to talk and discuss the news, only to be reminded by the Peacekeepers to be quiet again.

---------------
Hi, sooo..
I'm already writing the first day in the arena, so I can upload pretty often!
(I started a while before starting to upload it here)