Chapter 12

I blink a few times, then I can see the arena!
I take a quick look around, we're standing on a small area of grassland, huge snowy mountains to my right, a big lake behind me, the breeze coming from it smells a bit salty, not a potential water source.
A dense coniferous forest, trees higher than houses, I can hear the birds singing, twatchers. Perfect in intimitating sounds of other animals, they can often be a waste of time during hunting I've heard.
40 seconds left.
A coil of metal wire reflects the sunlight, a soft looking white blanket next to it.
The ruins they spoke of, one of them is only about 30 feet away, closer than the Cornucopia itself. It's an old and small building, no glass is left inside the window frames, made out of stone and little bird like symbols drawn on it, could that be mockingjays? Nobody has seen them after the revolution failed.
It's quiet warm, the sun is shining, only a few clouds.
I notice a skinny but sturdy looking knife infront of me, black handel and a white blade. A quiver just a few feet away, useless for me.
A few backpacks scattered around our platforms, many close to the Cornucopia, where all sorts of weapons are.
I notice something new, small brown packages on the ground, only about five of them. What is in there? Food? Water?
One backpack catches my eye, it's white and the perfect size for me. Kinda close to the Cornucopia, but not right next to the weapons, which will be the careeros first goal. My hearth beats fast.
Multiple bows, some axes on top of a pile of food, a dark green sleeping bag, big enough for two, it shimmers in the golden sunlight. A few ropes, a net.
Some water containers, a few of them are the good ones made from steel instead of plastic, that can easily break.
Eight silver speers, the tips covered in small barbs, sharper than new razorblades, lean to the wall of the golden trap, next to them a belt full of knives.
In it's entrance, an already build tent.
Finally, a sword.
It's right next to the backpack!
I could get there in ti-

The signal rings out, the countdown is over.
Everybody starts sprinting in various directions, including me. The ground is soft and reminds me of home, footprints are visible.
The lake is too far away, there has to be a river, or even multiple.

I grab the knife that I spotted right at the beginning, don't stop for even a single second.
The grass is light green and very short.
I nearly trip when I hear an explosion behind me, a wave of heat pushes the ones behind me to the ground. The ruin.
They're traps!
Most others are starteld for a second, confused, afraid, which is my chance. I notice Curen, he also runs without stopping, his goal the coil of wire I saw earlier.
I run as fast as I can and grab the white bagpack, ignoring the bow next to it and instead picking up the silver sword a few steps away.
They're mine now. 
Then a bloodcurdling scream, turning around I see how Leras body sinks onto her knees, her head landing next to her, immediatly a big puddle of blood builds up.
So she had listened to Vestus advice. He is responsible for her death!
Just now I notice a young boy, even younger than her, run away, a knife in his side.
Petra, the career tribute from distric two, stands right behind her lifeless body, a blood covered machete in her hand, a sadistic grin spread across her face, murder in her eyes.
I would be her next victim!
My body starts sprinting, then I get teared to the ground.
I try to shake the other tribute off, accomplish to roll around, now they sit on top of me.
I don't know her, but I think she's from district eight.
A machete in her one hand she aims for my head, I hear it hit the ground, not even an inch away from my left ear.
Now she aims a second time, again I manage to roll a bit sideways so that she can't hit, kill me.
My hand finally finds the knife I stored in my belt, tries to take it out, it's stuck.
Then, blood. Warm and thick, it drops onto my face, a few drops at first, then, as I shove her away, the wound in her head starts to bleed heavily. She doesn't move, is dead. I killed her. Murdered her.
For a second my hearth feels cold, I can't move, am frozen in place.
What have I done?

My vision not cleared up again I stumble forward.
No, it can't be.
It's a wonder that I notice the dark grey waterbottle in time, duck to take it.
At the same moment a throwing axe lands only a few inches away from my face, I trip but manage not to fall over, that could have been my death.
It's extremly loud, people are running, crying, gasping for air.
Another scream, this time a bit left to me, the voice deeper.
Turning around I feel something hit my packpack. I have to get out of here!
Not thinking about it I run towards the forest, my lungs hurt, my breaths are short and fast.
I can't stop, not here, that would be suicide, everything would have been for nothing.
Behind and left to me, Mou, I remember the boys name, stares at the trident that protrudes through his small body and his now blood soaked uniform, a small red backpack in his hand.
Aqua just pulls the weapon out, makes it look like something casual, no disgust on her face but rather a smile. She enjoys it.
I run faster, need to get away from here.

----------------
So, here it is.
Now they're in the arena!
Also, I really hated how this chapter turned out at first, but now that I've rewritten it I kinda like it

What would you wish for in the arena?
I would like a forest and not too extreme climate, and rain. Mountains would be fine too.