Chapter 7

It's the second day.
I forced myself to get up early and am now thinking about what to practice.
I know survivel techniques would probably be very useful but those shiny silver swords are so tempting.
Finally I give in, a few minutes won't hurt.
Next to me trains the girl from seven, I can't remember her name.
She's good but clearly has a problem focusing after swinging the weapon.

"Do you really think you're good at this?", I hear a voice mocking me.
It's the girl from district four, I think her name is Aqua.
I turn away from her and try to continue training, arguing with her won't do shit.
"You're going to die anyways! Maybe I'll be the one killing you, I would do us all a favor! You smell aweful!" She keeps talking and laughs.
"Leave me alone", I say and try to not sound upset. Who does she think she is? Oh yeah, a careero!
"Like you always are? No friends, no allies. Well, understandable. I wouldn't want to work with a weak small child either!"
Her eyes remind me of the ice we have to melt in winter to have water, she seems to be just as cold.
"Well, atleast I don't depend on others", I mock her and nod towards the group of careeros, only now I notice that they seem to have allied a girl from a poor district. That doesn't happen very often and most times they die in the first few days.

She swings the machete around and hits the provided target, a wooden human shaped figure, in the head.
It seems so easy when I watch her, but I've tried it and it's pretty hard.
She has most likely trained for a few years too, even tho it's illegal.
Most Peacekeepers aren't too hard with that rule since it makes the games more exiting for them.
The fights are more brutal, more poeple go to the Cornucopia to get a good weapon.
There will be 25 other tributes. The chances of me surving would be negative if that would be possible.
Suddently I stop what I'm doing, a black knife still in my hand, it schould be a good idea to learn how to get meat from animals if I can't remember those damn plants.
Res! As if by itself my fingers touch the cotton necklace around my neck, a small wooden circle on it. I close my eyes and find myself in the big empty hall again, it was as empty as I had felt, the floor cold as my parents reaction.
I have to try, she watches me. Or, she will. They usually don't show us training, only a few short shots to show that we're alive and actually here.

Res advice. I'm not supposed to run to the Cornucopia, but without anything I'm most likely going to die anyways.
I sit there, next to Curen and at the same table as this weird girl that can't speak, a long faded scar across her throath. She seems nice but it's hard to talk to her.
My thoughts are caotic, I'm thinking about Res.
What is she doing right now? Probably working, even tho it's like 10pm back at home.
I never really saw her when the sun was out, she was always working to survive, not starve to death like her little brother did after her father died. She didn't talk for days afterwards.
Her mom can't stand for too long so she can't really work, meaning she has to do it.
I saw her in school, sometimes at least. But at night we would often meet, being oh so careful to not be caught by Peacekeepers or too tired the next day.
She's so strong, unlike me. Never gave up, even when situations seemed hopeless.
And me?
I lie here, staring at the ceiling, and cry silently, fearing for my life, not wanting to die a horrible and maybe even slow death!
Crying like the first months when my father started to drink, when he started to get more and more agressive and loud, when the once rational arguments started to be associated with violence.

26 of us. Only one can win.
Meaning I have to kill 25 people, or atleast get them killed.
Normally about half of the tributes die at the bloodbath, the districs and the Capitol always get to see the individual deaths later on in full detail.
I need a plan, a stragtegy. And I need it now.
But I can't decide anything right now, my head hurts.

Finally I get up, I need fresh air.
I put on a shirt and black jacket along with sport shoes and go outside onto the small balcon they provide each room with.
Colorful lights illuminate the capitol, making the stars impossible to see, the streets busy and full of life. Cars drive by, loud music plays just a few houses away.
Cold wind brushes against gently my skin, it's weirdly calming and relaxing.
Do they even know what it's like to be poor?
Of course they do, some of them at least. I saw them when we arrived here, the capitol tries to hide it but even they have people dying of hunger, thirst, because of the cold, living in small streets, mothers and their children, old people.
I close my eyes, sighn.
Most of us hate the Capitol, the careero districts don't but even in two and four people start to complain.
Some people here hate it too, want it to by destroyed.
It can't last much longer, not if they don't find new ways to handle things.
They could make our lives better, but as brutal and emotionless as they are, maybe they will start sending more children to die, maybe families?

---------------
Here I am again, updating.
I originally wanted to do so yesterday but it was too hot outside and my phone keept overheating
I just wrote a death and like.. it's nearly a full chapter long?? I think I have to write it again, shorter this time.
What do you think? I mean, it's kind of important since it changes Vivus in a way but still

Also:
Tomorrow is the last day of school for now! This means I'm going to be able to write more often!