Chapter 5

Our district is long gone, now all I can see are fields, small ones. I don't even know which district we're in.
This rebellion.
We learned about it in school, of course it was made to sound like the Capitol was good and saved us, that the rebels wanted to start the Hunger Games again, the only change who was in power. The also said that they rebels killed innocent children, right in the Capitol, used parachutes like the sponsors in the games do.
There was this one girl, Katniss. Burned down district eight to eleven, then the Capitol.
Well, at least that's what they thought us. It would fit, considering her slogan which we were shown in a video, she even had a nickname with fire in it.
But what is true? What did really happen?
Now they're way harder, the winner has to kill one randomly reaped person on their tour through the districts.
Most of the careeros laugh, love this new rule. It gives them another chance to humiliate their enemies.
Enemies. Not friends, not family, not partners.
The borders between us are now higher and better secured them ever.

The landscape outside the window changes again, from a dense forest with all shades of green, to lakes and rivers, where the sun reflects on their surface and makes everything look peacefull and calm.
Distric 4, careeros.
Houses start appearing, people, we're too fast that I could make out any more details.
I'm laying on my side, staring out the window, still thinking about what I schould do, what strategy to use.
What should I focus on during our training?
I'm good with the sword and passable with throwing knifes, know how to use old stuff.
So schould I get even better at that or learn about survival techniques? How to build a tent, what plants are poisonous?
If I only knew what the arena is going to look like!

"10 hours until arrival"
I turn around and look at the clock, it's 9pm, time for dinner.
Me and Lera are already eating when Vastus enters the room, only wearing black satin shorts.
"All the good stuff is at the Cornucopia", he starts talking.
"But you already know that. So, what are you good at?", he asks us.
Lera is quiet for a moment, then says: "I'm somewhat fast and have a kinda high stamina, also I can be pretty sneaky", the she quickly added, "if that counts."
He leans back in his chair, moans disappointed, then looks at me. "What about you? And what's your name again?"
He comletly ignores her.
"Vivus. And I'm fast, can swim and am good with swords, throwing knifes are also passable."
He smiles. "Now that's something I can work with! The thing is: Swords and other good weapons are mostly very close to the Cornucpoia. So what about your stamina?"
"It's not that great, and also I would like to survive the bloodbath."
His ice blue eyes look upon me, cold and frustrated.
"You're too skinny either way, they would just kill you instantly, even the twelve year olds."
Then he turns away, starts flirting with one of the workers again.

It's 1am and I can't sleep. It's dark outside, you can see the stars.
Endless and so far away, entirely uneffected by what happens here on earth, here, in Panem.
I'm thinking of many things. The other tributes, my parents, Res.
The show I was forced to watch my whole life, now I am part of it.
People will hope I die, will kill me, watch my every move.
The careeros. What will they do? Kill everybody early on or wait till we're already weak? Hunt us like animals, like every year? Of course.
The biggest problems of most arenas are the lack of water and food, the wildlife or temperature too. Well, for those who don't get the best stuff from the Cornucopia.
So I have to look around during the countdown, see what the arena has to offer.
I can handle the cold, I'm used to it. Last year our roof was broken so there even was snow inside my bedroom.
We don't have to sleep and I could easily go and sit with the others, Vastus is clearly awake as loud as his television is, some kind of sitcom it seems.
I could watch the news, but shows from the Capitol are obviously not going to tell the full truth.
But at the moment I just feel like being alone. Well, as alone as you can be while being watched by the entire nation of Panem.

I squint my eyes as the harsh white light blends me, we just left a long tunnel.
As my eyes get used to it, I can start to take a look at the capitol.
Glamorous and expensive looking clothes, shiny and in every color possible. The houses big and white, light blue. Gigantic windows that reflect the sunlight like broken diamonds.
But also little kids, thin and fragile, mothers sleeping in the streets, dirty sideways full of people in old ripped clothing. This is what they don't show us.
We're there.
"The Capitol", the high pitched voice from the shower informed us.
Lera now stands right beside me, wearing a white cotton tshirt and some blue jeans.
My outfit is pretty similar to hers, just am I wearing black shorts instead.
Suddently I hear people screaming, they're exited to see us. Us, who will die in about a week.
I look outside the window again and slowly raise my hand, start waving a bit, maybe I can at least get one sponsor if I try really hard?
They smile and laugh and even little children point at us and talk to each other.
It's all fun and games, until you are in the games yourself.

"Ugh. You make it nearly impossible to work with you!", my stylist, a tall skinny man, complains.
"Hold still!"
I'm trying, but man, waxing your legs hurts!
I take a closer look at him. Short red hair, a way too big tank top and multi colored pants, feathers again. Seems like a popular trend here.
Finally he's done, looking at me.
"Go. Go out there and show off my work!", he proudly says while taking me outside, the others had already began their round.
The chariot rides, were we all get dressed up like dolls, presented to the Capitol.

---------------
Hi again
I don't really have questions today but..
What would your advice be if you were a mentor?