5- King of Fools

Layla ran as fast as she could, through the crowd towards the tent. Once she reached it, she burst in, and found Esmeralda removing her tiara.
"What's wrong?" Questioned Esmeralda, once she saw the worried look on Layla's face.
"You've got to come quickly. The crowd turned on Quasimodo, they're hurting him, you've got to stop them" begged Layla.
Esmeralda pushed passed Layla and ran out onto the crowd. When Esmeralda reached the stage, the laughter stopped, and an eerie silence filled the square.
She bent down beside Quasimodo and wiped his red face with her scarf, removing some of the tomato juice. Layla could tell that Esmeralda felt guilty, as she had been the one to call him up onto the stage.

"Don't be afraid...I'm sorry. This wasn't supposed to happen" apologised Esmeralda.
"You. Gyspy. Get down from there at once" shouted a cruel voice.
Layla turned around and looked at Frollo, who was pointing at Esmeralda threateningly.
"Of course your honor. Just as soon as I free this poor creature" replied Esmeralda.
"I forbid it" snapped Frollo.
Esmeralda removed her dagger and broke the ropes that held Quasimodo down.
Frollo stood up and yelled at her. "How dare you".
"You mistreat this poor boy, the same way you mistreat my people. You speak of justice, yet you are cruel to those most in need of your help" said Esmeralda accusingly.
"Silence" Frollo ordered.
"Justice" demanded Esmeralda, raising her fist in the air.

She then began helping Quasimodo to his feet, and Layla felt compelled to do the same. She climbed up onto the stage, and helped him to stand.
"I swear, that you will pay for this insolence gypsy" growled Frollo.
"Then it appears we crowned the wrong fool. For the only fool that I see, is you" replied Esmeralda.
She picked up the mock crown, that Quasimodo had worn earlier, and threw it at Frollo's feet.
"Captain Phoebus, arrest her" ordered Frollo, as he turned to a man on horseback, who wore gold armour. Layla recognised him, as the man who had helped Esmeralda escape the day before.
The man named Phoebus snapped his fingers, and several of his men began making their way towards the stage. Esmeralda smiled and threw her scarf into a huge spiral, hiding her body, allowing her to dissappear.

"Witchcraft" muttered Frollo.
Layla and the other gypsies knew that it wasn't magic, it was just a trick, using the trapdoor on the stage.
While Phoebus's men continued to search the crowd for Esmeralda, Clopin jumped up onto the stage and grabbed hold of Layla. He pulled her quietly away, while the attention was off her.
"What about Esmeralda?" Layla questioned once they were hidden, out of sight.
Clopin looked around the corner and saw Esmeralda take out several guards at once, and smiled.
"I think she can take care of herself" he admitted.

Layla knew it was true, her sister was a badass. But she hadn't liked the look of Frollo's face, when he told her that she would pay.
"Go! I need to stay here and sort things out, but you need to get back to Sanctuary" Clopin ordered.
"But..."
"No. I'm the leader, and you will do as I say, if you want to stay out of trouble" he interupted.
Layla sighed, when she realised that she wasn't going to win this fight. She nodded to Clopin, and began to make her way back home, through the quiet streets.
Rain began to fall, matching Layla's miserable mood. None of the other festivals had ended that badly before.
She just hoped that Esmeralda made her way back safely.