19- Acceptance

Phoebus stood by Quasimodo's side, with one hand on his shoulder, when Layla and Esmeralda found them. Esmeralda let go of Layla and ran towards Quasi, crushing him in a hug.
When she let go, Quasi took one of her hands and led her over to Phoebus. He placed their hands together, and took a step back.
Esmeralda stared at Phoebus for a moment, before jumping up and kissing him. Layla watched Quasi, and was suprised to see no resentment in his face. Just happiness.
When the pair stopped kissing, Esmeralda looked at Layla, as if asking for her approovel. Layla shrugged and Quasi ruffled her hair laughing.

Layla turned to him, looking uncomfortable.
"What you did... I mean, when you let go... What I mean is, you sacrificed yourself for me... You had no idea that Phoebus was there at all. So, what I want to say is, thank you" said Layla.
"You're welcome" replied Quasi.
The group smiled, and linked arms, as they made their way down the remaining steps in the cathedral.
Esmeralda and Phoebus opened Notre Dame's door, and stepped into the light, while Quasi and Layla stayed behind.
The people outside cheered and applauded them, happy that there was now peace in Paris.

"You should go out there with them" whispered Quasi.
"No thanks. Besides, I didn't even do anything. You should be the one out there, getting the praise. You saved us all" replied Layla.
Quasi shook his head. "I don't belong out there. You saw how they treated me before".
Esmeralda turned her back to the crowd and made her way inside.
"Come outside you two. You don't want to stay couped up in here" she said, holding out her hand.

Layla and Quasi both shook there heads, but Esmeralda refused to accept their decisions. She took hold of each of their hands, and dragged them into the sun light.
The crowd gasped, and looked uneasy when they saw Quasi and Layla in front of them. Layla was about to cover up her face, and run back inside, when a small golden haired child began to make her way towards them.
She approached Quasi hesitantly at first, but then she placed her small hands, gently around his face.
Quasi flinched at first, but when he realised the girl meant no harm, he placed his own hands over hers. The girl took hold of his hand, and dragged him into the crowd.

Clopin ran towards the group, and stopped by Layla's side, hugging her breifly, before looking back to the crowd.
"Three cheers, for Quasimodo. The hunchback of Notre Dame" he announced, jumping into the crowd.
The people began to clap and applaud Quasi, even choosing to lift him above them and parade him round square.
Layla looked on enviously, wishing that they couldv'e looked past her burnt face as well.

One girl, chose not to go with the crowds, instead she began to walk towards Layla.
Layla recognised the girl, as she was the Miller's daughter, and had been in the Mill fire at the same time as her.
The little girl rolled up her sleeve, revealing a small burn on her arm. It was similar to the one on Layla's face, but much smaller.
The girl stroked her own burn, and then the one on Layla's face.
"The same" said the girl, smiling.
Layla nodded, and held the little girl's hand. "Yes. The same".

The Miller waved to his daughter, and she ran over to him, leaving Layla feeling accepted for once.
Layla looked over at Phoebus and Esmeralda, who had crept up beside her.
"What do we do now?" She asked.
"We rebuild" replied Phoebus, placing his arm around Esmeralda, and resting his hand protectively on Layla's shoulder.
"It will be nice not having to live in the shadows for once" said Layla smiling.
Esmeralda nodded. "Yes. Yes it will".

"Now here is a riddle, to guess if you can. Sing the bells of Notre Dame.
What makes a monster, and what makes a man?
Sing the bells, bells, bells, bells, bells of Notre Dame!"