Fatal Trilogy

These are the stories, in order:
Fatal Instincts
Fatal Contingencies
Fatal Conclusions

Warning: This book has mature and graphic themes, including some really dark events. If you are suffering from depression, anxiety, or have any kind of PTSD, do not read this book.

Rating: 9/10

Category: Werewolf

This is not your everyday "werewolf meets mate" love story. There is no obvious mystical love at first sight. This author has made their own little werewolf universe that's separate from what has become the norm here on Wattpad, and it's really exciting to read about.

I've read books on here that deal with themes such as abuse, and they all seem to just make you pity the character. In this story however, you admire her. The author also does a really good job at writing the main character's inner monologue, so you can accurately understand what kind of state her mind is in. It really blew me away, and made me have a greater appreciation for people who go through similar abusive relationships.

I really liked the way they presented the flashbacks/memories. Normally I hate reading those, since it always jars me a little to suddenly be reading another story line. My thoughts are always, "I don't care! I want the main plot!" even if I know those parts are important. But what Shelby does is to keep those chapters pretty short, space them out, and somehow link them to what is currently happening, or what is about to happen. This makes sure you don't get frustrated, bored, or forget where you are in the story when it eventually continues. It's really brilliant writing, and very professional. It shows their creativity, and attentiveness to what the reader is feeling. Too many authors just want to push out information at you, and then apologize after, hoping you will keep reading.

This is a great series to read if you want something original, with a clever female lead, who has some skeletons in her closet. There's lots of mystery, action, and plot twists that will have you hooked.

Summary for Fatal Instincts as written by the author:

On the run from her haunting past, Alyssa Barnes doesn't expect too much when she strolls into the small town of Kettle's Bell, Kansas. It's just another temporary place full of temporary people that she'll never let close enough to see the lost girl hiding beneath her tough facade. She's done this all before, she'll do it all again. She's sure this new town won't be any different from all of the others, but then she meets Daimon Kross.

Meet isn't even the right word.

He demands her attention and she refuses to give it.

Leader of the town's unruly biker gang, he's tall, dark, and decidedly deadly. Oozing with dominance and power he's exactly the type of man Alyssa knows all too well that she should avoid, but mashing his buttons is just too fun.

Alyssa knows a man like Daimon Kross could destroy her, but she's always had a problem with tempting danger, and turning away now might not even be an option.

Kettle's Bell and the mysterious Kross bikers may not be all they seem to be from the outside and Alyssa might not be the only one with secrets to protect.

In ways that she never expected, Alyssa is finding out that sometimes love doesn't just bite...it howls.