Chapter Ten

***

"People don't arrive broken. They start with passion and yearning till something comes along that disabuses them of those notions."

- Lucifer Morningstar 

***

Asher

"Do you want to build a snowman? Come on lets go and play! I never see you anymore! Come out the door! It's like you've gone away!" I yell.

"It's like you've gone away! We used to be best buddies! And now we're not! I wish you would tell me why!! Do you want to build a snowman? It doesn't have to be a snowman!" Anna yells with me.

We are currently driving back home after my game and blasting to Disney music to celebrate my win. Mom and dad are back home since they have some kind of meeting but they promised to make it for the last two quarters of my game. They usually keep their promises but today I didn't see them in the bleachers. Caleb and his brother Raph had to look over Anna while I played.

Anna jumps out of the car and runs to the house while I trail behind her. I open the door with the spare key as soon as I push the door.

"Mommy! Daddy!" She yells. "Ash won!"

Following behind her I walk into the kitchen where my mom usually is. I look around and notice something seems a bit off. By instinct I grab Anna by the arm and pull her closer to me. The house is too quiet and all the lights are off expect the one leading into the house.

"Ash where's mommy and daddy?"

"I don't know An but just stay by me okay."

She nods her head and we walk slowly into the living room. My heart stops when I see both my parents tied to a chair with duck tape covering their mouths. Mom has tears staining her face and my dad keeps shaking his head at us.

"Mommy!" An yells.

I quickly run over to them and take off the tape and the ropes around their body.

"Asher you need to leave. Take Anna with you," my dad says sternly.

"Why? What's going on dad?"

"I will explain everything later. Just go."

My mom is hugging Anna like it's going to be the last day seeing her and Anna is crying in her arms confused and sacred.

"Asher please just listen to me. Keep your sister safe," dad says while pushing me away.

"Aw are you two leaving already," a voice booms. "We haven't met yet."

I grip my hands together to get rid of the last remains of the horrible memory. After all these years of hiding everything is surfacing backup. Not only am I having these terrible flashbacks Thea hasn't come back after the fight and the guards outside won't let me out to go find her. The Tsar has staged everything to make us feel at home when really we are being trapped in here like a bunch of mice.

"What got your panties in a twist?"

Just when I thought nothing could make it worse I remember I am stuck here with Walker.

"How the hell are you so damn calm when Thea is out who knows where?"

"Easy, one I don't care about her and two nothing will happen to here because that would be completely stupid for them to do."