Prologue: Midnight Stars

Hello! Ok so quick explanation, this is basically a vampire au where some characters are vampires and some aren't and all the vampire characters will be revealed in due time! And yes this includes hunters!

The city of Tokyo was busy with students rushing down the streets to get home for summer, people hanging out outside in different cafes, and generally enjoying the bright summer day. Three particular people walking down the streets were Shuichi Saihara, Maki Harukawa, and Kaito Momota. The three students have just been released from Hope's Peak Academy for summer vacation and already making plans for the season.

"We finally have time to hang out! No classes and shit!" Kaito chuckled as he adjusts his galaxy print backpack, resting on his back.

A soft giggle came from Shuichi as he looked up at Kaito with a warm smile "Well I still have work with my Uncle but I could still hang out with you guys!"

"And I'll be free for the next few weeks," Maki added with a barely noticeable smile though it obviously made Kaito's day.

"Wait are you guys free tonight?" Kaito suddenly asked, noticing how Shuichi and Maki thought for a moment. It was Shuichi who spoke up first followed by Maki.

"I should be free!"

"I should be too, why do you ask?"

That's when that confident smile tugged at Kaito's lips before chirping out "We should go stargazing tonight! There are practically no clouds and I found a great spot a few weeks ago!"

Shuichi smiled softly as he gave a nod up at Kaito "If you can pick me up I can go!" Shuichi knew that stargazing in the middle of a popular city was next to impossible so actually getting to see the stars other then just a few airplane lights would be welcomed.

"Then what time should I pick you guys up?" Kaito asked with a small tilt of his head.

"How about around 7:30? The stars should start coming out by them, " Maki spoke as Shuichi nodded in agreement.

"7:30 it is then!" Kaito smiled just as he spotted Hope's Peak's dorms coming up in the distance, the only thing he didn't like about Hope's Peak was how some dorm were away from campus, but with how many talented students attend the academy, Kaito couldn't blame them.

It took only a few more minutes for the trio to arrive at the dorms as Maki and Kaito stepped up onto the steps. "We'll pick you up soon Shuichi, " Maki spoke as Shuichi nodded in understanding.

"I'll be sure to be ready by then, " and with that Shuichi headed to his Uncle's where he spent most of his nights helping work on different cases. Maki and Kaito then made their way up to their own dorms both being on the opposite side of the building to each other.

The building was split down the middle with the girls dorms on the left and boys dorms on the right. Kaito and Maki both had to split paths when they came to the staircase as Maki made her way to the second floor while Kaito walked to the fourth floor though it was labeled at the fifth, the building having skipped the number four all together. Once inside his dorm, Kaito dropped his backpack on the floor and spent the rest of the day playing on his galaxy 3DS, all the way till 7:30 when Maki knocked on his door.

"You ready?" asked Maki as she looked up at Kaito with her blood red eyes, she changed from her normal red school girl outfit to a much more casual outfit being a lightish red poncho with a small bow tied around the collar, her hair tied back in a single loose ponytail, a pair of black shorts, and her regular red stockings and brown shoes.

"Yep, just let me grab my phone!" Kaito chirped just as he grabbed his phone off its charger. Kaito earlier had changed into just his violet pants, galaxy slippers, a white tee shirt with the Kumadori stamped in red, and his beloved purple galaxy coat. It was basically his regular outfit but without the white button-up shirt to it.

Once Kaito stuffed his phone into his pocket and returned to Maki's side. The two then made their way down the street to Shuichi's place. It took about a half hour before they reached Shuichi's house and Kaito easily spotted Shuichi standing on the front porch, fiddling with his phone.

"Hey, Shuichi!" Kaito called out, easily catching Shuichi's attention as the detective looked up and smiled at Kaito and Maki. Shuichi strangely wore a light blue vest with a white long sleeve underneath, it was strange seeing Shuichi in bright colors but Kaito paid it no mind.

Once the three were together they all made their way to Kaito's secret stargazing spot. Kaito obviously lead the way and it took a few hours to arrive but the trio made it. It was just at the edge of the city on a large hill covered in trees except for the very top. Once on top of the hill, the trio laid down in soft grass and stared up at the now countless stars littering the sky in giant clusters.

Kaito wasted no time in pointing out the different constellations to Shuichi and Maki though Maki seemed to stare out at the city lights. It was a few hours later before Shuichi started getting tired and had to leave before it got too late, Malkin had to leave as well saying she wanted to check something out leaving Kaito by himself on the hill. The astronaut stared out at the city and noticed a misty cloud rolling in and he too decided to head back to the dorms.

Unaware of the indigo eyes watching him.