Chapter 7: Trouble

Instead of the alarm clock waking Kaito up, it was the constant ringing of his phone. An annoyed groan came from the young astronaut as he sat up in bed, his disheveled violet hair hung in his face as he fumbled to grab his phone. When he answered the call he heard Shuichi's voice.

"Kaito? Somethings wrong with Kiibo, he keeps going on about losing someone, " now that woke Kaito up almost immediately as he sat up in bed.

"What? Who's Kiibo missing?" Kaito asked with a worried tone. He heard Shuichi turn and ask a babbling Kiibo something before returning to the phone.

"He just shook his head and said that he's missing, " Kaito could just see the worry on Shuichi's face just by the tone of his voice. Kaito glanced at the still sleeping Kokichi before he spoke up.

"I'm on my way over!" and before Shuichi could reply, Kaito hung up and got out of bed, accidentally waking Kokichi in the process.

The small vampire groaned as he sat up in the bed while rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "Kaito? Why are you up so early?" he asked while watching Kaito change into a clean outfit.

"Shuichi called, he says Kiibo's freaking out after losing someone, " Kaito explained while tugging a shirt over his head, he missed how Kokichi seemed to pale at the mention of Kiibo. Kaito then was about to rush out of the apartment, Kokichi got up and rushed to Kaito's side. "Kokichi no you gotta stay here," Kaito said as he then gently pushed Kokichi to sit down on the couch.

"But I want to come along!" Kokichi pouted but Kaito only shook his head.

"No, it's day right now and I doubt you want a sunburn, " Kaito frowned as Kokichi shifted his gaze away.

"Fine, but don't stay out all day! It's boring here!" Kokichi whined and watched Kaito rush out the door, closing it behind him.

•~~•~~~•~~•~~~•~~•~~~•~~•~~~•~~•~~~•

"I'm here!" Kaito shouted while bursting through the front door of Shuichi's station where the detective was still trying to calm Kiibo down. Kiibo was hysterical, tears rolling down his cheeks and his face flushed from how much he's been crying. This was definitely strange for the tech-savvy detective especially when Kiibo seemed to calm down when Kaito arrived. "You ok Kiibo?" Kaito asked while walking up to the albino's side.

"I-I don't know, I can't b-believe I lost hi-im, " Kiibo hiccuped out while wiping a fresh wave of tears away.

"Kiibo you have to tell us who you lost, if you don't we can't find them, " Shuichi frowned as he pulled Kiibo into a comforting hug. Kaito saw how Kiibo took a breath to calm himself before speaking his next words.

"His name is Kokichi Ouma, " 

Kaito felt as if the world had just exploded. He could just barely make out Shuichi's conversation with Kiibo.

"Kiibo, Ouma is already in the missing persons' file. He has been for the past ten years, "

"No, he isn't! I've seen him just three days ago!"

"Why didn't you tell anyone Kiibo? The orphanage hasn't stopped calling me since he ran away, "

"H-He made me promise not to tell anyone, "

Kaito gulped as he ran a hand through his hair, Kokichi knew who Kiibo was that must be the reason why he asked to come along. Shuichi was quick to notice Kaito's change in behavior and turned his attention towards him.

"Kaito are you alright?" Shuichi asked with concern, the only answer he reserved was a nod. "Are you sure? You look like your going to pass out, "

"Y-Yeah I just don't feel so good, " Kaito forced a smile while shifting his gaze away, this only made Shuichi suspension grow but he did give a nod and when back to pressing Kiibo for more answers. When Shuichi asked for Kiibo to describe Kokichi, he got every feature right down to the curly purple hair to the wine-colored eyes.

"We'll find him Kiibo I promise, " Shuichi assured his partner with a soft smile and got a smile in return. Kaito then saw his chance to escaping and spoke up.

"I should probably get going, I have some chores I need to take care of," Kaito smiled awkwardly as he shifted his gaze away from the two, "I'll keep my eye out for Kokichi ok Kiibo?" He added while ruffling Kiibo' fluffy white hair. The only answer he got was a small nod of his head and a sniffle.

Kaito then quickly left the station and rushed back to his dorm room.

•~~•~~~•~~•~~~•~~•~~~•~~•~~~•~~•~~~•

"Kokichi, holy fuck!" Kaito yelled while bursting through the front door, scaring Kokichi half to death from his spot on the couch. "First since when did you know Kiibo and second when the fuck did you go missing?!" Kaito practically yelled while closing the door.

"Clam down you idiot!" Kokichi growled out as he watched Kaito walk up to him "First, I've known Kiibo for fifteen years and second I never went missing, I ran away, " Kokichi finished with a pout. Kaito though could tell Kokichi was leaving something out, something important.

"Shuichi said an orphanage reported you as missing, " Kaito pointed out with a frown and noticed how Kokichi tensed at the mention of it.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, I've always been on the streets, " Kokichi frowned while folding his arms across his chest "I've never been to or stayed at an orphanage, " Kokichi expected Kaito to finally drop the topic but yelped in surprise when Kaito slammed his hands on either side of the small vampire, pinning him to the spot on the couch.

"You're lying, "