An Old Crush

Newton Scamander. Your best friend and long time crush from Hogwarts. The two of you haven't seen each other since he was expelled. It hurts your heart that you never got to tell Newt about your feelings for him. You were always too scared of what he would think so you kept your feelings private.

The two of you may have not seen each other since the expelling but you have sent owls to each other. You can't go a month without hearing from Newt. You love to get his letters about his adventures with his creatures and he loves getting your letters of whatever is on your mind that month.

It's the beginning of December and you're walking home to your flat in London. There's freshly fallen snow covering the grass as you walk. Your hands were stuffed in your pockets and your breath was visible in front of you. You had decided to take a walk to clear your thoughts. You hadn't gotten your letter from Newt that month or the month prior. You told yourself you wouldn't worry if this ever happened, but you couldn't help it. You're a natural worrier.

After spending some time in your local park, you decided to grab a coffee and head back home. You had always preferred doing things the muggle way. Your parents and Newt had always picked on you for that. Once you arrived home, you went inside and immediately started a fire to bring warmth to your cold bones. You decided to read one of your favorite muggle poetry books, curled up by the warm fire.

~

You hadn't realized you had fallen asleep until you heard a knock at the door and awoke with a start. You hardly ever got visitors. Groaning, you assumed it was your neighbor asking for something. You slung open the door. "Sheryl if you need something- Newt?" You had finally opened your eyes fully and realized who was standing in front of you.

"Newt! Oh my god is it really you?" Before he could even answer, you pulled him into a hug while laughing.

"Yes Y/n, it's really me. Although it seems like Sheryl is someone you were expecting." He laughed as you both pulled away to get a good look at the other.

Newt blushed a deep shade of pink as he gratefully took up your offer.

You forgot you even gave your address to Newt and now here he was, in the flesh, sitting across from you.

"Would you like some tea or coffee or something? I'm sure you could use the warmth."

"That would be lovely."

~

The two of you had been talking by the fire for hours. It truly only felt like seconds as you stared into his passion-filled, sea green gems for eyes. You finally glanced at your clock as you felt yourself grow tired.

"Oh my, it's 12 o' clock. You must be tired after traveling. Do you have somewhere to stay?"

"Dear Merlin, I had no idea it was so late! I'm sorry for keeping you up. I was intending to just sleep in my case for the night."

"Oh no I can't let you do that. There's only one bed, but I could take the couch?"

"Y/n, you know I couldn't let you do that."

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" You were genuinely just ready to go to bed at this point. You were so happy to get to see Newt again, but you were absolutely exhausted.

"M-maybe we could um share?" Your eyes shot to Newt's freckled face. He was blushing profusely. It was absolutely adorable.

"Share the bed?" You knew what he meant but you wanted to hear him say it.

"Y-yes?" He seemed nervous about what you would say so you reassured him by grabbing his hand and giving him a kind smile.

"Of course. You're my best friend." The word friend stings both of you but you decide to push it aside for now.