dragon tears

requested: "Here's a request! Newt x reader where Newt confesses his feeling while stuck in a stressful situation with you where he fears he may lose you. Thanks xx" - @jackdawsonsgrl

warnings: blood, angst

I'm sorry if this isn't accurate, but I hope you enjoy anyway. Leave feedback. 💛

123 days. It doesn't seem like much but when you are in a war fighting alongside some of the most terrifying creatures in existence, it feels like forever. 123 days is how long you and Newt have been in this war. You missed getting to spend actual time with him. He is your best friend, after all.

As you lay on your cot dreaming of the day you will be out of this hell, you hear yells and booms coming from outside of your tent. You sigh, opening your eyes to see that Newt isn't there. You bolted up immediately, grabbed your wand and left your tent.

Once you were outside, you saw fire. Your heart dropped. Fire. Dragons. Newt is out there somewhere. You start into a sprint towards the woods in front of you. "Newt!? Newt! Where are you?" You continue running until you bump into someone. You groan and fall to the ground. You grabbed your wand and pointed it at the person until you realized- "Newt?" He looked down at you.

"Y/n?! Bloody hell! What are you doing out here? I left you in the tent so you would be safe." He grabbed your shoulders, almost too tightly.

"Safe? Newt, I don't need protection. I'm your partner in this." You jerked away from him, looking slightly offended.

"You can't fucking decide what I can and can't do for me. I'm going to help you whether you like it or not. Now, would you like to tell me what is going on?" You crossed your arms against your chest. Newt was not going to do this alone and he could see it in your stance that you were not going to drop this. He sighed defeatedly.

"The dragons have stopped listening to orders. More specifically, the hungarian horntails." He rubbed the back of his neck as he explained this quickly to you.

"They're what now?" You nearly yelled this at Newt even though you knew exactly what he said and what it means.

"Y/n, we don't have time. Just- just please promise that if anything happens, don't put yourself in danger for someone else. Especially not for me, okay?" You looked at Newt with teary eyes. You both knew how serious this was.

"Come on we need to go. We have to stop them." You ignored Newts plea and grabbed his hand. You lead him into the forest where all hell had broken loose. This was going to be a long night.

~

You and Newt have managed to stun all of the destructive and misbehaving dragons, except for one. One last Hungarian horntail. You and Newt were holding hands, trying to find the last dragon. You feel a rumbling in the ground and know that it is near.

You let go of Newts hand and you both took off toward the direction of the last dragon. You were worn out. You were covered in blood and burns. You were ready for this battle to be over with. As you and Newt spot the dragon, he pulls you behind a tree.

"I want you to stay here. I can handle this one." He looked at you seriously and you could see concern in his eyes. You didn't want to stay there, but if it would make Newt happy you would do it.

"Okay Newt. Just- promise me you'll be careful and come back to me, alive." A stray tear fell down your cheek and Newt reached up to gently wipe it away. He kissed your forehead. "I promise that I will try."

With that, he was off to try and distract the dragon. He walked to the side of it slowly began making different noises and things to distract the dragon from blowing fire at other wizards. It whipped around towards him and started to blow fire at him. Newt used a fire protection spell, so he was alright.

Out of the corner of your eye, you saw the dragons tail start moving rapidly back and forth. You knew this was a sign of the dragon getting more aggressive. You knew he was going to whip it toward Newt at any second and he wouldn't survive that.

As soon as you saw the dragons tail move up and swing around toward Newt you immediately grabbed your wand and screamed "No!!" at the top of your lungs. You apparated in front of Newt and the dragons tail hit you with such force, that you heard your ribs crack. You flew through the air and then slammed against a nearby tree. You felt blood and warmth but also cold. You couldn't really feel anything and everything around you was blurry. Your body was lying limp on the ground and your head was turned toward where the dragon and Newt were.

The dragon hitting you with its tail was enough of a distraction for Newt to be able to stun it. You smiled with as much energy as you had. You helped Newt. That's all that mattered. Newt came running towards you. "No, no, no, no! Bloody hell Y/n! What did you do?"

He was sobbing and on his knees, cradling your battered body. He knew no spell could save you at this point. You looked up at him and smiled. "I cou-ouldn't let you d-ie, Newt. You're precious." A tear fell down your face as you reached up to put your hand on Newt's wet cheek. Your breathing was dangerously shallow at this point. You didn't have to strength to hold his cheek for too long.

"You don't think you're precious to me, Y/n?! You should've let me d-die! I can't lose you, I love you. You are the love of my life a-and I regret not telling you. Please stay awake. I need you. Fuck, I need you. Please don't leave me, I can't do this without you. I-I was planning on telling you soon, after the war. I wanted to marry you and build a family with you and travel the world with you. Hey, keep your eyes open. I love you. You're so amazing and beautiful and kind and funny and fuck please don't leave me." His sobs came out harder now. He knew you were leaving soon. He could barely see you through his tears.

You didn't have much energy left, but with what you did have, you muttered softly to Newt. So softly, he almost thought it wasn't real. "I lov-ove you too. Will you kiss m-me?"

Newt was angry at the world right now. He wanted to be angry with you for blatantly ignoring what he asked of you earlier. Truly he is angry that you are dying and he can't do anything about it. He leans down and kisses you passionately with all the love he has been hiding from you for years, despite the blood that is coming from your mouth. You could barely register his soft lips against yours but you knew they were there and that was enough for you. You could taste his salty tears mingled with your blood and your own tears. It wasn't exactly what you imagined your first kiss with Newt would be, but it's all you could want right now.

Reluctantly, Newt released your lips and leaned back to look at you. Your head is on his shoulder looking into his eyes. "Thank you." You smiled at him one last time as your eyes closed. You released one final breath and your body fully relaxes in Newts arms.

"Y/n? No! Y/n, not yet please!" Newt starts sobbing harder than he has ever sobbed before. He can't believe he lost you. He cradles your lifeless body to his chest as he sobs and asks for forgiveness. He begs for you to come back to him. He makes himself sick from sobbing as he's holding you. You're really gone and you were the only one he's ever truly loved.

You were gone and it was all his fault.

a/n: ah! please don't hate me? i tried something different. im sorry if it's bad :( feedback is welcome always.