her

"ellie?" kaiden walked into her room cautiously, as if treading on broken glass. his sister had been acting like a lifeless robot for days and he was starting to worry. "please talk to me."

noelle's heart squeezed in guilt, but she simply patted the space nearby, directing him to stay with her.

he laid beside her on the bed, letting her bury her head in his shoulder. "i'm sorry, kai. you shouldn't have to see me like this."

"don't apologize," he wrapped an arm around his sister's shaking form. "i'm 13, not an idiot. everyone, even you, has the right to be upset."

"i know," she chuckled lightly, the first real sign of emotion she'd shown. "i don't know what to do anymore. i love him. i really do. i love him so much, but he's gone now. i'm not even sure if he's going to come back at this point."

"if you love something, let it go-" kaiden began and noelle immediately recognized the cliché saying.

"-if it comes back, it's yours," she whispered, eyes roaming her ceiling sadly. "if it doesn't, it wasn't meant to be..."

her younger brother nodded and pulled her shaking body closer to his. she couldn't help but admit that there was an actual chance that luke would see that he's happier wherever he is compared to with her and that made the pain ten times worse.

"hey, shhh," he rubbed her back gently, "you'll be okay."

"that's the thing, kaiden," noelle breathed out slowly. "i don't know if i'm going to be okay without him."

-

time seemed to be infinite.

well, to noelle at least. it seemed to both drag on and speed by. days and nights mingled, making a cloud of nothing in her mind.

she didn't know it, but days passed before she decided to finally leave the house. the summer breeze blew through her hair and tingled her face, sending a slight wave of euphoria through her.

noelle always loved taking walks. before becoming extremely controlling, her parents used to take her on them all the time - and kaiden, too, once he was born.

they would laugh and chase each other around with careless abandon, feeling like a true family. but that was all a really long time ago. now, that feeling of togetherness seemed to have left completely.

"hey, excuse me?" someone touched her shoulder and she jumped. "sorry to startle you, but i need some help."

turning to them, polite smile already etched on her face, she was faced with a tall boy - almost luke's height - with raven black hair and warm brown eyes. 

"it's no problem," she assured him, "what can i help you with?"

"i know it's kinda crazy and you'll have no idea what i'm talking about and i'm probably sounding like a crazy freak from a-"

"whoa, whoa! don't hurt yourself," noelle laughed. "i promise i wont think you're crazy."

"i was just wondering if you knew anyone named noelle around here," he rubbed the back of his neck.

"noelle? there's a lot of noelle's," she asked suspiciously. he could've been talking about her, but she had to make sure. "do you have her last name or..?"

"uh, no i don't," he admitted with a nervous chuckle. "it's just, she's friends with my - not really friend - but acquaintance, luke."

her heart kicked into overdrive at his words. this boy knew luke. he could know where he was. the prospect of that was too good to be true.

"huh, really?" she quirked an eyebrow, trying to keep excitement from spilling into her voice.

"yeah, she's looking for him, i think, and i was hoping to let her know where he is. she seemed really worried about him, you know what i mean?

"i may know who you're looking for," she bit her lip in anticipation. "hi, i'm noelle. and i know exactly what you mean."

the boy's eyes widened and filled with something akin to relief as he grabbed her hand gently and shook it. 

"i'm calum," he grinned, "and i'm so glad i found you."

-

sorry it's short and confusing and it sucks, but i'll clear all of this up in the chapter after next, i swear.

ALSO IM SORRY IVE BEEN AWOL. family mode has been on since last month and i haven't touched my computer in a very long time. so glad to have gotten time to do this update.

THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING SO PATIENT AND STICKING AROUND. it's been a rough few weeks, but i think i should have more free time starting next week. sorry again for the wait.

currently working on updates for my other stories as well, so you should check them outtt! especially my new story 'new girl'! :-)

QUESTION OF THE DAYYYYY: If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would you eat?

I would eat pizza or tacos. I'd probably get superperper fat, but y'know. food is good.