him

when he'd finally plucked up the courage to do so, luke went to his old house.

well, where his old house was before it was burned down. when luke approached it, his heart broke to see that there was a different home in place of his, looking new and not like he remembered at all.

"fuck, when'd they do this?" he mumbled to himself, simply standing in front of the building in disappointment.

luke wanted to do a lot of things - ranging from screaming and crying to running away. yet what he actually found himself doing was walking up to the front door and knocking on it. after doing so, he scolded himself and stepped back to walk away, but it was too late.

"hello! who are you?" a girl about his age answered the door, curiosity clear in her green eyes. he simply stood there, mouth halfway open with an excuse, but he couldn't muster up one.

"i- uh-" he sighed, "i'm luke."

"it's nice to meet you," she held a hand out for him to take. "i'm marie."

he stared at her hand for a moment before taking it, just to be polite. "i'm sorry to bother you, i should go. it was nice meeting you and all, though."

"wait!" marie called out as he turned his back. he looked over his shoulder at her as she spoke, "you seem kind of bothered by something. maybe you can come inside and we can talk about it?"

a part of him screamed about how wrong this was and how noelle should be the one he was talking to, not some girl that moved into his old home. and luke wanted to leave, he did, but he couldn't find it in himself to say no, so he followed marie into her house.

"just sit here for a second while i get you some water," she instructed gently and he obeyed, sitting on her couch.

a minute later, she returned with a glass of water and luke took it gratefully, taking a small sip before placing it on a coaster on the table.

"i know this sounds nosy of me to say since you just met me, but what's wrong?" marie questioned.

luke bit his lip and sighed, wondering if he should really let himself do this. open up to a random girl. in truth, it's what he'd done with noelle. then again, that was different. she was different.

"i really shouldn't bother you with my personal shit," he told her. "it's kind of you to do this, but you don't want to hear about my problems."

"luke, i don't know you, but i know how people work," she informed. "and i know that people can't hold feelings in too long without bursting. so i'm giving you the opportunity to burst."

for a moment, he saw noelle in place of marie. he saw the girl he loved sitting beside him, hazel eyes and imperfections and all.

he hadn't noticed, but a tear had escaped his eye and was falling down his face. marie simply smiled sadly and let him try and hide it, despite the fact that she'd already seen it.

"i fucked up," he choked out. "i fucked up big time."

"how?"

"i thought that i could fix myself by coming home, and i have. i've accepted things that've happened and i'm on the road to forgiving myself, but..." luke released a shaky breath.

"even if i come to terms with everything in my past fully, i'll never be happy. i left the only thing- the only person that makes me happy back in queensdale. i can't be happy without her. she saved me when i thought i couldn't be saved. she fixed me and i didn't even realize it until i left."

marie hummed and let out a sympathetic laugh as she stared at the boy in front of her. luke looked up at her from his lap in confusion, lips pursed.

"go back to her, stupid," she advised. "if you see all of that now, why the hell are you still here?"

"you're right," he nodded. "i'm going back to her."

"good," marie smiled. "hopefully i'll see you again so you can tell me how it went."

the blonde boy stood and returned her smile, "thank you, marie."

"just go get your girl, luke."

-

with new-found strength, luke sprinted all the way back to ashton's house, finding his best friend laying on the couch tiredly.

"ashton!" he hurried up to his friend. "i need to get back to queensdale. now."

"w-whoa, slow down, buddy," ashton stood to meet his friend's height. "i thought you said-"

"i know what i said," the taller boy interrupted, "but she's so much more important to me than any self-redemption shit."

"god, you're so whipped," he smiled, dimples fully displayed. "alright, if you have to go, do it. just promise to visit sometime, alright?"

his excitement simmering down, luke gave his brother a small smile. "always. i'll even bring her so you can meet. i think you two would get along great."

"you better hope so," a mocking finger was pointed in his direction and he nodded with a chuckle. "i'll get your bag. your keys are hanging by the door."

nodding, the two split and luke grabbed his keys off the hook and wung them around on his finger as ashton sped down the stairs, bag in hand. the two exited the house together and when they reached luke's car, they paused. 

"ash..." he turned to his friend, the truth finally settling in. he'd be leaving him.

"it's okay," he handed luke his bag. "i want what's best for you."

"i'm gonna miss you."

"i'll miss you, too, luke."

they entered each other's embrace and ashton patted the other boy's back. it sucked, they both figured. they'd just been reunited, brothers once again together, and now they were being separated again.

breaking out of each other's grasps, they shared sad grins.

"tell your family i said thank you and i'll miss them," luke said softly.

"of course," ashton patted his shoulder one more time. "take care."

with one final wave, luke threw his bag in the trunk and entered the driver's seat. starting the car, luke's eyes couldn't help but flicker towards the rear-view mirror, watching as ashton stood on the sidewalk alone, until he turned the corner.

it hurt to leave, there was no doubt, but the light at the end of his dark tunnel was a mere four hours away, and god knows he wasn't about to abandon her.

+

okay first of all: 1K READS!?!? I AM IN LOVE WITH EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU TODAY HAS BEEN A GREAT DAY. ya'll are so amazing and inspiring like i honestly didn't expect this story to get as far as it has and it means so much that you're all reading and i'm v emotional right now i'm sorry.

Sooo in other news, luke's finally getting his penguiny ass back to noelle tybg and idk i'm excited to write their reunion bc i have cute ideas i'm just so hyped :-))

QUESTION OF THE DAY: who would you say is your biggest inspiration in life? (wow marti, deeeep.)

mine would have to be my brother, deffo. bc he's literally the most supportive and understanding person i have atm and he's so strong and i look up to him so much. remember kids: be grateful for your siblings!!! they're annoying, but they mean well so don't take them for granted. xx