him

luke had fallen asleep on the couch minutes after they'd entered the irwin home. he wasn't sure how long he'd been out, but when he came to, ashton and noelle were sitting on the floor in front of the couch, watching a movie.

"hey guys," he croaked, voice hoarse with fatigue. the two turned their heads to him and smiled, noelle placing a kiss on his forehead.

"how are you feeling?" she questioned.

"better," he replied, stretching as he sat upright. "less tired. have you guys been there the whole time?"

"pretty much," ashton shrugged. "noelle took a nap, but other than that, we've been here."

"you don't mind if we go out around town do you?" luke raised an eyebrow at his friend after a moment.

"not at all," he chirped. "enjoy yourselves. call me if you need anything."

"will do," the taller blonde got up and took noelle by the hand, leading her out the front door after grabbing his keys.

as soon as they'd gotten into the car, the air went solemnly silent as luke planned out where he was going to take her. he could tell by the way that she tensed that she noticed it, but was glad when she didn't bring it up.

the decision to take her was whirling around in his mind since they'd driven to brooklyn, and even as they approached the area did he have second thoughts about it.

"luke, is this...?" noelle's voice was quiet as she stared through the car window at the sign they'd parked in front of.

"yeah. it's the cemetery they're buried in," he replied just as softly.

her dimple appeared on her cheek as she pursed her lips, obvious trepidation crossing her features.

"are you sure?"

"no," he admitted. "but i trust you - literally - with my life. so i think you deserve to meet them."

then he heard her seat belt click and the car door open, wind blowing inside the car as she stepped outside. a small ounce of relief flooded his stomach as he exited as well, wrapping an arm around her as he led her to their graves.

when they stopped in front of the three marble stones in the soil, luke could only bring her closer. his mind was filled with wishes that they could've been alive to meet her. that they could've physically hugged her and seen just how beautiful she was.

"hi guys," luke's voice wavered just as it had the first time he'd spoken to them. "i'm back and this time i brought someone really special to me." he breathed in and out slowly, trying to compose his thoughts.

"this is noelle. she's my girlfriend. gosh, you guys would've loved her. she's amazing."

he looked down at her only to find that she was already looking up at him in awe and adoration, making this entire thing a hundred times easier for him to do.

"hi mr. and mrs. hemmings, jack," she looked at the graves with a sad smile. "your son is so indescribably strong. i'm sure that you're all so proud of him. he's been through so much and he's grown up to be a fine young man."

luke pressed a kiss to her head in silent thanks as she continued, still having so much to say but not enough words to say it.

"honestly, thank you for raising luke and forming him into the person he is today. i just want you three to know that i love him with every inch of my being and that i promise to look after him as long as i continue to do so. which will be for a very long time, i can tell you that."

"forever and always," he mumbled her own words into her hair and she smiled serenely. "told you guys that she was a keeper."

the two teens laughed, the weight of the world still on their shoulders. still, they figured that it was alright as long as they got to share the weight together.