10 | He Ain't Shit

Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.

My roommate: "69 stars! Congrats dude!"

"The soccer team is planning a fundraiser event before our first game with the Highlanders," Rosalie started, reaching into her open backpack. Whitney sat perched atop her Stud.Co. desk, looking disinterested in everything Rosalie had to offer. Instead, Whitney had her sights on Sami, who was busy sorting through Art Hendrix's photos on the wall. Arthur was editing photos on his desktop, only half-interested in all the questions Sami had for him.

Rosalie held up a flyer in front of Whitney, who cleared her throat and blinked as though reemerging from a dream. "Hm? Oh, permission to put signs up."

"Yes. We're gonna put 'em up in the bathrooms and by the vending machines," she explained, trying to look as innocent as possible as Whitney scanned her up and down with a huff. She stopped short at Rosalie's reinstated pants-only wardrobe, and seemed a bit disappointed by it.

"Yeah, sure, whatever. I'll slide it by O'Gallagher," she sighed, and Rosalie punched her fist in the air with a thrilled, "Yes!"

Whitney took up one of the flyers as Rosalie went to fetch Sami. Sami was pointing to a picture of a swim meet and giving Art a thumbs up on scoring a photo of all the guys shirtless. Art raised an eyebrow after them as they hurried out of the Stud.Co. office with big plans on vandalizing the school with car wash flyers.

"This year's fundraiser is gonna be even better than last year," Rosalie insisted, dragging Sami by the hand around the senior wing. She swing around, hands splayed in the arc of a rainbow. "Jade's dad is gonna help us set up a brat fry, with hamburgers and hot dogs and all of the above. Lu's gonna make cookies, too."

"Yikes. Sounds like a lot of work," Sami said, and Rosalie slumped. "What? I'm just being honest."

"It'll be fun. You remember last year," she said with a flick of her hand. Last year was a success, and the amount of sun Rosalie got pitched her already brown skin darker. She looked like an exotic goddess for the first half of the year before her tan faded and she was just her usual not-quite-white-but-not-quite-Latino self. It didn't help that she didn't know who her biological parents were, and her mother refused to give in that department. Rosalie was a surrogate child who filled in the blanks where she could.

"Truth be told, I don't remember last year. Mainly because I brought my car after having spent the weekend with the team out in Chesapeake," he said. "I was delirious and overtired."

"Yikes," Rosalie said, and it took a moment for Sami to realize that she was making fun of him. He slapped her on the shoulder and stole her flyers. He ran down the hall with them, and in a moment of absolute madness, he threw them in the air.