63 | Kissing Contenders

"I feel a little sick to my stomach thinking about it," Rosalie confessed, her expression contorted by the mortification. It was Friday afternoon, and the courtyard wasn't quite shut down, but it was too cold for normal students to be out and about without coats on. In other words: No one was out in the courtyard except for the students who used it as the designated smoking area.

Rosalie ignored the sharp tang of smoke drifting over their heads as Jamie handed her half of his Cosmic Brownie. She studied it curiously and confessed, "You know, I've never had one of these before."

"Rosalie, I've gotta say, your life is suddenly becoming more and more depressing the more I hear about it. No masterbation, no Cosmic Brownies..." Jamie-Lee said.

Rosalie slapped her hand on her head and said, "Don't say it out loud. It's so embarrassing. I can't believe she said that to me."

"She probably said it so that you'd freak like this," he said, waving his hand. He turned away with a scoff and stuffed an entire brownie in his mouth. Rosalie took a small nibble of it. The chocolate dough was about as dense as a blackhole, or, more accurately, her backpack nearing finals week.

She passed it back to him with a shake of her head. "Maybe I just didn't expect it. If I knew she was gonna... you know... maybe I wouldn't have freaked?"

"Yeah, but maybe she's right," Jamie said, turning back. He shrugged and said, "I mean, it's easier for dudes since all ya gotta do is whip it out—"

"Jamie-Lee!" Rosalie shrieked, slapping a hand over her face.

"But for girls, it's like... a whole event!" he said.

Rosalie wanted to shove him off of the table, but she feared that he'd retaliate and push her off as well. She had Regionals to prepare for, and with her busted finger, she didn't want to know what her chances were of breaking an elbow.

"What do you mean?" she asked, motioning with her hand. "A whole... 'event'?"

"You know what I mean," he said. She stared at him. He stared back. He shook his head, flabbergasted. "You don't know what I mean. Alright, well, here's the long and the short of it: First time? Shower."

"Shower?" she repeated, squinting at him.

"It's easier, trust me. And, you'll feel clean afterwards so no harm, no foul," he said.

"Ew," she whined, slumping forward. "That sounds disgusting."

Jamie snorted and shook his head. "God, you're like Lennie. I swear you two were, like, twins or something, separated at birth."

Her nose wrinkled up. "He is not Latino, or Malay for that matter," she said, indignant. She was only a quarter Malay, but it was likely the biggest factor between her deep olive skin and Lennie's pale-ass attitude.

"Spiritual twins!" Jamie shouted in her face. "Anyway, speaking of that buffoon, any update on the Ray situation?"

Rosalie shook her head, sighing. "I need to talk to Whitney about it. I think we're gonna sign out the conference room just to make it easier. Sami and I are gonna go around and ask a few guys today after school."

"I heard Michael's in the batting cages now," he said. She turned to him, startled. "End of the football season. You know he started in baseball?"

"You're kidding. Baseball season starts in winter?" she said.

"Weird, I know," he said. He finished the last of his sandwich before brushing his hands off on his trousers. He pushed himself off of the table. "Speaking of weird—if you're so weirded out by it, why are you thinking about doing it? Save it."