14 | Carpool Gal

Copyright © 2018. All Rights Reserved.

The Highlanders were stronger in the first half, unable to pace the game or keep up with McAllister's curved shots around the defenders. Erin was a force to be reckoned with, especially with Rosalie having expert aim in predicting Erin's location at any given moment. And, with the history she had with Ray on the field, they accomplished swift, spontaneous attacks whenever Erin was caught in a flurry of furious Highlanders.

Erin left the first half with a bruised shin and an abrasion on her arm like claw marks from a dog, and no memory of the exchange. Maguire gave her a firm pat on the shoulder and congratulated her on making enemies. Erin looked uneasy about having done so, eyes wide and smile worried.

"You're doing great," Rosalie reassured her.

"I wasn't able to get us enough cushion, though," she confessed, and both their eyes went to the scoreboard. They had a two point cushion ahead of Taft Memorial. Considering the state they were in during the first half, and what she knew of the Highlanders from practice tournaments, she reassured Erin of it.

"Second half will be easier, trust me. We've got this," Rosalie promised.

Throughout the second half, the section in the stands drenched in blue was roaring. The girls on the bench were on their feet the majority of the time (excluding a very bored Joanna), clapping in unison and shouting cheers after every goal. They crushed the second half with seven more points against the Highlander's brutal final score of one to the Knights' eight.

On the final buzzer, the team flocked Ray for scoring the final point. Ray threw her hands up yelling like a goddamn medieval barbarian. She thumped her fists on her chest and roared.

Brynn flung herself at Ray, swinging onto her back. She thrust her fist into the air, latching onto Ray as they sang the Knights chant as they lined up. Brynn hopped down as Maguire came by and smacked her over the head with her rolled up sheet of paper. They walked down the center line of the field, high-living the opposing team. Their facade was back on, and ignored the bitter looks of resentment their captain sent Rosalie's way. Rosalie stared on, impassive. She looked and felt like Joanna during class.

On the bus back from Taft, Rosalie passed the first few rows and settled closer to where Joanna was collapsed on her back, one leg slung so far up that she hooked a foot over the back of the gross, grey, artificial leather seat. Rosalie hooked her arms around the back of her own seat, and Joanna spared a moment to lift her hand up from over her eyes to see who was disrupting her soon-to-be nap.

"You seem proud of yourself," Joanna said.

"I am. I've wanted to play for USW since I was a freshmen in high school," she confessed as Joanna lowered her arm back over her eyes and held a thumbs up. "Sorry for... being passive-aggressive with you. At practice yesterday and again today."

"Can't say I'm on board with it, but I can tell you aren't used to having competition."

Rosalie smiled despite Joanna being unable to see her. She looked out towards the window as the bus engine rumbled, and they pulled away from the front of Taft Memorial.

"Thanks," Joanna said, and Rosalie's smile faltered. She tipped her head curiously back to Joanna. "For apologizing. I've dated girls who never apologized for being pissy with me. Pride is a funny thing."

A pair of footsteps headed in their direction, and Alyssa collapsed into the seat across the aisle from Joanna. "If I didn't know any better I'd say you two are dating," she said, and then waved her hand dismissively while Rosalie put a hand over her face. "But Mason's dating Griffin, so I'm not worried."