Chapter 4:

Oh my god. did he seriously just ask me that? so many emotions are rushing through me and i tackle him. "Real." i say before leaning up to him and a smile stretches across his face and he kisses me. his tounge dances gently across my own inside of my mouth. i find my hands rustling in his soft ashy blonde hair and staring into his magnificent crystal blue eyes. i pull away keeping my body close, my face just inches away from his. he moves his hands down to my hips and he whispers to me, his lips brushing by my ear.

"i like the sound of that." he smiles and looks at me. "Katniss Mellark." we sit up and he slides the ring onto my finger gently as i laugh happily.

after we are through with next makeout session he carries me iniside the back door of his house and puts me down on a chair at the kitchen table. he goes to his special baking cabinet and pulls out a package. he unwraps the paper and hands me a heart shaped cookie, iced with different shades of red pink and white. i take a bite out of it and roll my eyes at his obnoxious smile. then i look at the ring on my finger. its a thin gold band with the word "FIRE" engraved on one side and "BREAD" on the other. that is so adorable.then there is a good sized diamond in the middle, sorrounded by really tiny pearls, reminding me of the one Peeta gave me on the beach in the Quell. i dont like some of the memories that those words bring.. but the others are warming to my heart. in the same way i feel when i'm with Peeta. i hug him, tightly wraping my arms around his neck. he keeps his hands steadily on my waist. Katniss Mellark? hes right, it does roll off the tounge nicley.

"are we going to have to announce this next week?" i ask, gazing into his eyes. he smiles and squints slgithly.

"hmm. i guess so, you think they'll be able to ignore this?" he asks, rubbing his thumb across my right hand before kissing it.

"ha. i can just imagine Effie and the prep team..." i trail off picturing them all overwhelming me with excitment and questions. Peeta laughs and presses his lips barley to mine for a split second more.  "sorry to leave so soon but i need to head into town soon." he nods and lets go slowly, smiling.

"at the first reaping. did you ever imagine it would end up like this? you know me and you. engaged. in our house in the victors village?" he says laughing. i roll my eyes.

"oh? since when do i live here?" i say jokingly.

"well. your here all day and you sleep here every night." he says. i laugh and smile at him.

"yeah..." i kiss his cheek one last time before walking out calmly. its cold out so i have to shove my hands in my pockets, thus hiding my ring from veiw. i decide to go by Mayor Undersee's house and talk to Madge. but first i stop by my Father's grave in the District Graveyard out by the school. i sit down in the grass and place a single primrose in front of the headstone.  "Dad... i love you. Panem is safer now, and i'm know that Prim is with you now... but i'm engaged, and i promise... Peeta will take care of me and protect me. i miss you. and i know mom does too. say hi to Prim for me and sorry to tell you, but i officially hate Gale now. Goodbye for now, i have to go, i'll come back soon. i promise." a tear rolls down my cheek and i walk away silently and clalmly.

i had wanted to see Madge, but i'm not in a mood for that anymore. i see Gale coming out of the hob and i start to walk faster, almost running back home to Peeta's. i wonder if he saw me? i dont think he did, or he would have followed me back to the house. i close the door and Peeta's face brightens. "Where'd you go?" he asks, pulling me into a hug. i look around and search for an answer. he forwns and gives me a sad look.

"Uh.....nowhere." i say. he picks up the hint that i dont want to talk about it.

" hey so i had an idea. why dont we put anything hunger games, war, Capitol, or any other bad things from the past in a box and just shove in the attic to make sure it stays away from us." i smile and hug him tighter, nodding slowly.

we grab all of the DVD's, newspaper articles,pictures, and otherr things and put it in a large cardboard box. Peeta walks up to the hidden attic and shoves it in, closing the hatch. leaving our past forever behind us.  "you know people are never going to forget about that. people are alway going to be talking about 'the girl on fire!' 'the Mockingjay!' 'the boy with the bread!' 'the star crossed lovers of district 12' 'the hunger games' 'the war' 'Katniss and Peeta!' what if it never stops!" i say, starting to sob,resting my head on Peeta's chest. he whispers soothing words in my ear as he strokes my hair calmly.

we sit down on the couch and start flipping through channels starting at 1. by the time we get to 33 we've seen a replaying of the 74th games, 2 exclusives on the 75th games, 5 different intereviews of me and Peeta, and 11 different shows about the war and or me as the Mockingjay. i'm upset and feel tears coming into my eyes and i run up the stairs and into Peeta's bedroom. i flop on the bed and start balling into the pillow. then i feel Peeta rush to my side and sit next to me in the chair.

"shh. Katniss its okay its just television." he says, caressing my cheek. i smile fakely and look into his blue eyes.

"why..wont..they..ever...leave..me...us..alone!" i choke out. Peeta frowns. he pulls me into his arms and sits down on the edge of the bed.

"its okay,Katniss. just go to sleep. its alright i'm here." he says, slightly rocking me. he whispers something in my ear but i don't catch it before i succumb to the endless world of my dreams and nightmares.

what if they never leave me and Peeta alone? what if they try to publicize and show the wedding on tv? it bothered me enough when it was fake, but thats a personal moment for me and Peeta and i wont let the Capitol take that away from me. haven't they already taken enough from me already. why cant the whole world forget about Katniss Everdeen, the girl who caused 1,000's of deaths and inspired a nation to go into a horrible war, that devcistated millions and sent bombs down on District 12. Peeta is the only good thing that came out of any of it. but the Capitol had robbed me of finding true love, by telling me what to do and how to feel, hanging death over my shoulders with the scent of anger and exasperation. i got so caught up in convincing a nation that i was in love with Peeta, that i had no way to tell if i really loved him. but at least now i know in my heart that i love him and i alway will.

i'm in love with the boy with the bread.